Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone here is able to assist me please....

I had a message come up on my dashboard earlier saying 'Engine Malfunction Service Now'.
I checked my levels and taken a photo of the coolant tank. As you can see, the level is very low, however there is coolant pooled in the top right had section. The drops that you can see coming off the tank are just water from where I cleaned it in order to take a clear photo.

I've read a few forums and have checked to see if there are any obvious signs of leaks, checked the oil to see if it is milky, checked the coolant cap etc.

Any suggestions on what I need to do would be much appreciated. I don't really know much about cars! Thanks

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Bumper

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Check the driver's footwell carpet, the heater hose connector has been known* to leak there, making the carpet and insulation wet.

Options are: new O rings and clips or rubber pipe and clips
It's an easy job for a contortionist!

Fill the tank & system with clean water (no need for antifreeze while troubleshooting), run the engine and see if you can spot a leak, especially follow those 2 small diameter hoses back to the engine.
The 1.0 petrol engine had a recall because one of those hoses split at a junction.

If you "don't really know much about cars!" then anything else is going to require some tools and equipment you probably don't have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check the driver's footwell carpet, the heater hose connector has been known* to leak there, making the carpet and insulation wet.

Options are: new O rings and clips or rubber pipe and clips
It's an easy job for a contortionist!

Fill the tank & system with clean water (no need for antifreeze while troubleshooting), run the engine and see if you can spot a leak, especially follow those 2 small diameter hoses back to the engine.
The 1.0 petrol engine had a recall because one of those hoses split at a junction.

If you "don't really know much about cars!" then anything else is going to require some tools and equipment you probably don't have.
Thanks for the advice.

I will check for a leak as suggested. Am I ok to use tap water for this?

Quick question, if I need to drive it to a mechanic that is say within 5 miles, should I just top it up with coolant and limp it there?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Tap water OK, run the engine until it's warmed up, and check how quickly the water is lost, - ask the mechanic!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts