Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI there! Forgive my ignorance, but I've just purchased a 2016 Focus Titanium 125 1.0 Ecoboost (Heads up, I've driven for decades but know next to nothing about engines, I'm just copying this technobabble LOL) in November, a former Motorbility car with not much mileage. It's been brilliant driving around town, but I've only just taken it out on the motorway for the first time, and noticed that when I'm in the rarely-used upper gears of 4-6 and maybe going uphill or getting hit with the crosswinds from the crappy weather we've been having, the RPM gauge will "waver" at times within the 2.5-3 range, and the speed and acceleration does the same before settling. Once or twice, the Check Engine Now light comes on, though when I started up the car again afterwards, there was no sign of it (it did happen again today while I was in town, in traffic, slowly edging uphill to some traffic lights).

I was worried about this (my last car, a Fiat Qubo Diesel, didn't do this), that it might be indicative of an issue (I purchased it through a reputable dealer), though some people have told me that the Ford Focus is a heavy car for the engine it possesses, that petrol engines aren't as strong as diesel and that my previous car was lighter, and so that it's natural for the Ford engine to work a little harder to compensate for steep inclines and such, and if I face it again, just shift down a gear. I tried it (I'm also conscious of having my foot resting on the clutch more than I probably should), and didn't get any Check Engine Now light on.

So, do you think that's it? I just have to get used to handling my new car in a different way? I'm not too worried, as I don't get any problems with street driving (and no other problems with it) and I love the car, but I probably just need some reassurance LOL

1 - 1 of 1 Posts