Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best 235/50/R17 available?

I have got a new 2015 Mk5 Mondeo, and it has on it 3 Davantis and 1 Conti Sport Contact 5. On my Mk4 Mondeo I tried (at different times) Pirelli P Zeros and Michellin Pilot Sport 4 and really enjoyed both.

Although we all want tyres that handle like they are on rails, can stop on a penny in all conditions, last 100,000 miles and cost £5 a corner, unfortunately they don't exist.

My top consideration is braking and handling, with the usual trade off of wear. So what would you recommend?

·
Big Megger
3,070 Posts
How long is a piece of string??? This must be the most asked question on any forum - you will no doubt get several (hundreds?) of recommendations. The answer is, as always, down to personal preference. Not quite what you want to hear but if you read through all the reviews you'll see what I mean. It boils down to theses parameters, cost, wear, road noise, grip in the rain and handling. Look at any tyre seller's range and compare the A [fuel efficiency) and A ( wet grip)rated brands and pick what you fancy. You can also consider what seasonal tyres to use and speed rating. I look forward to the ensuing replies.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine is wearing Toyo Proxys. not premium but not cheapos either. £75 a corner cant go wrong.

·
Super Moderator
29,809 Posts
Toyo, Khumo, Avon, Bridgestone.. Most wont notice the difference between any

of the mid range tyre choices.

Check the reviews you get lots saying its noisy then some saying its really quiet.

You get the people that drive 2 miles to the shops on dry days only, never breaking

25mph and they claim the tyres last forever and are really quiet and grip well.

Then the same tyre is driven by someone that hammers up and down the motorway

at naughty speeds and they claim they are rubbish in the wet and really noisy and

only last 8000 miles.

I like the KU39's. My opinion they grip well and really predictable when on the edge.

Coming off a bend at 70mph in the wet, it just drifted.

I could say roundabout but you should not drive like that on the highway. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Biti, what Michellins are you running? I must say, I have never been unhappy with them. I am thinking about the Primacy 3s, but am concerned about the fact that they are symmetrical tyres. Perhaps I'm worrying about nothing?

·
Super Moderator
29,809 Posts
Had Michelins on the rear of my last car and they do last forever. Only changed

them because they were starting to crack. Tread still well within legal limits.

·
8 gears or more please
TrevorB BMW320 M Sport 2020 M Sport Pro Pack. Tech Pack (Head Up Display)
5,466 Posts
Daniel, you must be in the marketing dept of Michelin :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.