Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well just used the online mpg work out thing and my mpg is 28.91 what the hell am I doing wrong ok its round town stop start but surely I should be getting better I even took the ramps out of my boot due to excess weight i been dring sensible for once too? yet when i drive faster than normal it uses less WTF is wrong I have noticed this on runs too flat out (well 80 - 100) seems to use less than 50mph

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
mondano said:
well just used the online mpg work out thing and my mpg is 28.91 what the hell am I doing wrong ok its round town stop start but surely I should be getting better I even took the ramps out of my boot due to excess weight i been dring sensible for once too? yet when i drive faster than normal it uses less WTF is wrong I have noticed this on runs too flat out (well 80 - 100) seems to use less than 50mph
ok im guessing no one has comments?

·
Big Megger
217 Posts
mondano said:
My 115 tdci around town on stop start work when the engine hardly warms through returns about 39mpg. Mind you I'm hardly a boy racer and I usually have a speed restrictor sitting in the passenger seat and am required to drive as if I am carrying a crate of loose eggs. :laugh:

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Just a tip, but its easier to get a response if you include some basic info like the Engine (1.8TD, 2.0TDDi (90/115), 2.0 TDCi (115/130) or 2.2 TDCi.

First thing I would suggest you do is have a think about your driving style.

With a Diesel, you dont have to rag it to get the power as the torque is low down - so changing up at about 2k revs is fine for standard progress and you dont have to rag it upto 2k.

Aside from that, I would suggest doing an ECU Reset if you have a MK3 (see Meg Workshop, Electrical Section for how to), and maybe putting some injector cleaner through the system.

Other thing is are you working out the MPG accurately. This is done by filling up, running the tank down then filling up again and working out from the miles done and litres put in at that point. About town at worst doing just short journeys from a cold engine I would still expect to get late 30's from My TDDi, and mid-30's from my previous MK2 1.8TD.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i delivery pizzas and they all have the toppings on so my driving not that bad I wonder if I have a problem somewhere :whistling: I no theres no leaks my old 7 series used to do around 20 odd mpg :shifty:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DavePage said:
Just a tip, but its easier to get a response if you include some basic info like the Engine (1.8TD, 2.0TDDi (90/115), 2.0 TDCi (115/130) or 2.2 TDCi.

First thing I would suggest you do is have a think about your driving style.

With a Diesel, you dont have to rag it to get the power as the torque is low down - so changing up at about 2k revs is fine for standard progress and you dont have to rag it upto 2k.

Aside from that, I would suggest doing an ECU Reset if you have a MK3 (see Meg Workshop, Electrical Section for how to), and maybe putting some injector cleaner through the system.

Other thing is are you working out the MPG accurately. This is done by filling up, running the tank down then filling up again and working out from the miles done and litres put in at that point. About town at worst doing just short journeys from a cold engine I would still expect to get late 30's from My TDDi, and mid-30's from my previous MK2 1.8TD.
sorry its a 2003 mk3 115 tdci saloon as for working it out i fill it right to brim as i deliver pizzas and it doesnt stay there long i used the mpg calculator which was put up in another thread so im assuming its accurate, I have done a reset but am worried about redex and the likes due to injectors being electronic

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
If you are doing stop start all the time (I assume you are stopping the engine when you deliver them) then thats going to have an impact on the MPG a little bit, but should still be early to mid 30's.

The MPG Calculator off the other thread was probably mine, or a derivative of mine so its accurate :)

On a motorway run you should be easily in the 40's (the time you are on the motorway anyway) even if you are not at its most economical speed.

Wouldn't be worried about using Redex so long as you follow the recommended doses. I used to batter my old TD with it when I was doing a 'spring clean' on the engine (putting a fair bit in just before fill up and ragging it).

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well im lucky as most of time missus is in car so i leave it running i do on average between 40 and 50 miles a night hmm i used to use crap loads of redex in my old td's i had a pug 205 td a pug 406 td an astra td and they liked it but i am not sure about the tdci enjoying it as much

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Actually then, how long are you leaving the engine idling cause again this wont help (its like catch 22, your buggered if you leave it idling, your buggered if you stop the engine).

Try never taking it above 2k revs and the same dont strain the engine by trying to accelerate when the revs are too low (change down when needed). This may help a bit. Other things to check are tyre pressures, that the brakes arent sticking on although mine did this and it hardly had an affect on MPG (rear calipers on MK3 do this from time to time).

Apart from that, try driving and think economy all the time - eventually it will become a habbit. Otherwise you could always get a Scooter for your deliveries :D

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Instead of Redex, get hold of some Millers Power Sport 4 (aka rocket fuel :} ) and try that in it. My car was up 5mpg on the last tank using it and I drive like a hooligan* :D

If the car is cold or idling, then chances are it's not going to get warm very quickly which will seriously harm fuel economy. Best to give it a blast to get it up to temp and then deliver the pizza's and see if there's any difference. I'd also get the rear calipers checked as it's a known Mk3 problem :D

Chris

* where it is safe and the law permits ;)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
id rather use my cbr than a scoot I think the brakes may be sticking slightly but not bad and i only leave it running like 2 - 5 mins while i take there money and run :nana: and i have tried to keep it below 2 k hmm I will try harder though tomorow im driving from southampton to new forest then back and then off to wales and back though I might stay in wales the night or i end up doing 130 all way back :innocent:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ScoobyChris said:
Instead of Redex, get hold of some Millers Power Sport 4 (aka rocket fuel :} ) and try that in it. My car was up 5mpg on the last tank using it and I drive like a hooligan* :D

If the car is cold or idling, then chances are it's not going to get warm very quickly which will seriously harm fuel economy. Best to give it a blast to get it up to temp and then deliver the pizza's and see if there's any difference. I'd also get the rear calipers checked as it's a known Mk3 problem :D

Chris

* where it is safe and the law permits ;)
im quite lucky there like 2 or 3 dual carridgeways i use to warm it up anyway so is that stuff ok in tdci

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.