Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post,on what has to be one of the best
sites around.Anyway i have just bought a nice 99T Plate 1.8LXTD.However the car has one snag which was taken into consideration during the deal.3RD gear on engagement has a "rasp".There,s no problem with gear selection up or down the box & if you catch it right you can engage without any sound.However a quick change will sound "raspy".
What,s the opinion of you transmission experts as regards a different oil,additive even.I,m sure a few of you have some similar complaint with your cars.Is there something to try before the inevitable box out job? Any suggestions,help would be much appreciated. :thumbup:

·
Big Megger
202 Posts
just a thought but just check your roll restrictors because one of mine had gone and i found it hard to get gears sometimes but now ive replaced it my gears are alot eaiser to get. on mine it was becuse the restrictor was totally knackered it was resting right on the bottom of it so the gear linkages was slightly in the wrong position. just a thought

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
Welcome oilburner,

is it just the third gear or including the first and second?

Mine is difficult to get into on all three... and plenty of reasons for that...

Phil

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
sounds like the synchromesh is gone on that gear :sad:

G

·
Third gear is prone to wearing the scynchro on the MTX75 box. You can either have it done now or wait until it starts slipping out of gear and then have it done at greater expense..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.