Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is 50 mpg right from a 2012 1.6tdci (96bhp)
I know the official numbers are like 78mpg but I'm getting 50 on the motorway at 70mph,
Is there anyway of improving this
Cheers
Dan

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Sounds a bit poor, my MK3 did 50mpg at 70mph today (round trip of 100miles today 80 miles motorway 20 miles round Manchster). If it had been all mtorway would probalby have got 55mpg.

I can't remoeber what the offical figure of the MK3 is but i seem to remember 51mpg - a lot less than the 78mpg for yours!

Mk4 & 5 don't seem very good on fuel despite th efficial figures showing them to be a lot more economical.

I have driven several of them (hire cars through work) & fuel consumption has always been less than my MK3.

·
Super Moderator
29,803 Posts
96bhp shifting a ton and a quarter?

78mpg on some rollers in a test lab with the alternator and aircon belts removed?

What rpm are you getting at 70mph? The revs maybe too low, sounds mad that

dropping down a gear and using more revs = less fuel used and a higher mpg.

But i have tested it with a Mondeo 2L MK3 TDCI.

40mph road.. 40mph in 5th gear used 18% of the throttle where dropping down to

4th gear the throttle was only 9% with a drop in the fuel used. In 4th gear the car

virtually pulled itself along with just a tint touch of throttle, but change upto 5th

and it required more torque to pull smoothly so you pushed the throttle down further.

I found the same when towing, it would pull my caravan down the M5 at 60mph in

6th gear all day long. But leaving it in 5th gear put it closer to its peak torque figure

where you barely touch the throttle again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ye I get that I sometimes drop my disco into 7th gear when towing on certain roads as it just feels more responsive and more easy going than 8th, think I might get a remap done aswell and clean a few bits out like the egr etc see how I go, revs are about 2.5k at 70
Cheers
Dan

·
dont listen to me, you'll have horsepower and
3,263 Posts
Is all the service upto date including fuel filter? The first thing that sprung to my mind was binding brakes causing drag. Lift each wheel individually and give it a spin

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All wheels are spot on it's just done it's mot couple of days ago, goner give it a full service next week.
Has anyone had A 1.6 remapped?
Did it make much difference?
Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts