Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right peeps i wouldnt normally asked this just had some bad news, well when i bought the car i was under the impression it had had a cam belt at some point but i have been told by a previous owner that he hadnt done a cambelt and he had the car from 50k miles so im a lil worried seen as its done 132k now!!

Would any megger be willing to help me or show me how to change the cam as im gettin mega worried it will snap anyday and at the minute im doin up 3k miles per month!!

If anyone is willing please pt me!! Thanks :L

·
Window licking mong
34,352 Posts
its not easy, i darent do mine! if you set the timing 1 tooth out you can damage the engine.

it will cost you about £150-£200 at a garage to get cambelt fitted. make sure they do the tensioner pulleys as they are as prone to failure as the belt itself.

mondeo belts do snap not long after the period they are supposed to be changed so get it done ASAP considering the mileage your doing.

you could take the opportunity to get a pair of performance cams put in at the same time....

·
Registered
203 Posts
Id gladly offer my services mate but you live miles away from me, if your worried about doing it your self then take it to a garage, if your not mechanically minded then it’s a lot less worry and hassle.

I did mine just over 4 years ago, it’s due a change in January :( , it wasn’t that difficulty to do, make sure you lock the cams ups before you remove the belt, when I did mine I put paint markers on the cams and crank so I know for sure whether they have moved or not, lol id rather be safe than sorry, 16 valves is a lot of work to put right as I well know from past experiences with bought motors with snapped belts, the Haynes manual gives a good low down on how to do it.

·
Still waiting to Wii
2,699 Posts
it's not hard, It's not easy enough to put up a how to on it, but my first time doing it i did it in about 2 hours, and I retensioned it and reset it about a year later and it took me about 1 1/2 hours. If you do it right you don't need to lock the cams, and defo change the pulleys and tensioners.

·
still lost
1,339 Posts
there was a how to posted on here but i carnt find it i just had mine done at 121000 an the pulleys i had a look at the belt after on there was loads of little cracks an three that ran across the belt ot could have gone at any time i do most things to cars myself but the cam belt i leave well alone

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.