Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Schmill
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my 2012 Mk3 Focus flagged up a fault "Tyre Pressure Sys Fault - Service Required" and nicely lit up the ABS, traction control, and hill-assist lights yellow on the dash.
Got home, plugged in the elm and ForScan tells me its the rear right wheel:
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

(The other two code of C003A are "mechanical fault" and "incorrect sensor" but I suspect the "short to ground" is causing these)

Its intermittent, since it will clear itself from the dash (and then reappear at some point later) and similarly if you clear the DTC it will come back eventually.

Looking in the Helm Shop Manual it indicates to do point test 7 and refers to C440-1 and C440-2:
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Screenshot

I'm assuming this is a connector - but does anyone have any hints on how I go about locating this connector? The ident is great, but it doesn't mean anything to me in terms of location etc.
Either that or any hints on where to look if this is a known issue of wear or chaffing on these wires?

Thanks in advance!

·
Schmill
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also find this is the same Helm manual... I have no idea where these wiring diagrams are though, I don't find them in the Helm manual (or at least in the download that I have :( )

Rectangle Font Material property Screenshot Parallel

I'm gonna go have a look and poke around the rear right wheel, but being intermittent I'm expecting a struggle :(

·
Schmill
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, where did you get this diagram?
I thought I had one, but could really do with a wiring diagram 👍🏻

·
Schmill
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Enjoy!
Thank me later 😉
Thanks @Mondygeek - but either I can't find it or else this document doesn't contain the two connector numbers I was referring to? (Although hopefully very useful for everything else!)

@Master-of-none - Where did you get the colour diagram from? It looks exactly what I was looking for in this case.

·
dont listen to me, you'll have horsepower and
3,477 Posts
This may help. Shows wires, what colours each wire, and the plugs from each wheel speed sensor to the abs unit

Attachments

Reactions: Schmill

·
Schmill
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This may help. Shows wires, what colours each wire, and the plugs from each wheel speed sensor to the abs unit
Thanks - is that from the PDF you shared earlier? - I'm not sure if I'm really rubbish at finding the right page in the wiring PDF or if you have another source you are getting these other images from?

I did some measurements on the car, and from what I can tell it seems ok, which is typical. Judging from the dash lights its an intermittent short, and I'm guessing it "isn't" at the the moment. complete pain since I don't know if I should be looking for a chaffed wire somewhere (sounds like a nightmare) or if these wheel sensors can / do go intermittently short?

·
dont listen to me, you'll have horsepower and
3,477 Posts
Yes from the same pdf

Reactions: Schmill

·
Schmill
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Both sensors showed the same value on a simple resistance check - so decided to swap them over and see if the fault moved with the sensor.
Car is currently up on wheel ramps (stationary!):

Green Rectangle Slope Font Screenshot

Apparently the rear left is now doing 57kph....

I think a new sensor is in order, and hopefully that will fix it 🤞

1 - 11 of 11 Posts