Ford Automobiles Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
The magnetic ring is on one side and comes complete with the bearing like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-X-Type-Inc-Saloon-Ford-Mondeo-MK3-Cougar-EC-Orbis-Front-Wheel-Bearing-/291053073356?hash=item43c41d73cc:g:M-YAAOSwA3dYfnQ3

I have just done mine,abs light was on found the ring was full of muck,fitted

a new bearing no abs light on but it was making scraping noise as i braked ,found

the abs ring had metal filings from me doing ball joint so cleaned off and

everything works as it should.

Good video, seems pretty straight forward. I take mine apart when we have a day without rain.

Cheers..

You used a block of wood or a socket round the edge when hammering the new one in right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So can you do it without a press machine?

·
I could do with a profile pic
1,856 Posts
The magnetic ring is on one side and comes complete with the bearing like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-X-Type-Inc-Saloon-Ford-Mondeo-MK3-Cougar-EC-Orbis-Front-Wheel-Bearing-/291053073356?hash=item43c41d73cc:g:M-YAAOSwA3dYfnQ3

I have just done mine,abs light was on found the ring was full of muck,fitted
a new bearing no abs light on but it was making scraping noise as i braked ,found
the abs ring had metal filings from me doing ball joint so cleaned off and
everything works as it should.
Good video, seems pretty straight forward. I take mine apart when we have a day without rain.
Cheers..
You used a block of wood or a socket round the edge when hammering the new one in right?

So can you do it without a press machine?
just saw the pic of the man with the hammer didn't twig it was a link to a video of him using a press.

But yes I have done a few without a press. Some good sized sockets and a carefully placed chisel if the outer shell doesn't come out as one.

Then some grease and wooden block across top to distribute the impact to get it in. Then used the outer shell of the old one to fully submerge bearing in to the hub.
Same detail form putting knuckle back on

·
Clever Clauggs
4,579 Posts
Wood hammer chisel sounds brutal,this kit cost me £52,cheaper now http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/201908763630?clk_rvr_id=1217006905862&vectorid=229508&lgeo=1&item=201908763630&rmvSB=true

Take off bottom ball joint,easier if you take strut out of knuckle,take driveshaft out,

using right size circular drift plate hammer middle bearing and hub off,remove bearing shell,

Grind bearing shell on hub slightly and chisel off,grease bearing outer case and wind

bearing in till flush with knuckle,and then hub into middle of bearing no more than £80,

Skf bearing VKBA 3575 £39 ,bearing removal kit £40,easy if bolts aren't seized.

·
Super Moderator
31,085 Posts
A good selection of sockets and some long bolts and washers, almost as good as a press.

·
Super Moderator
31,085 Posts
You need to make sure the socket sits on the outer ring of the bearing and does not

put pressure on the centre. And make sure whatever you use on the rear cannot

get pulled into the back of the hub. Its a PITA to get it back out again. :D

Rectangle Font Parallel Electric blue Magenta

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
31,085 Posts
Watch this after 7mins, its similar to pieces you need.

youtube.com/watch?v=9BopxJyCHUY
Ahh but when your young and pennyless that kit probably cost more than my car :)

I found a good source of the washers, Front tiebar mounts on Mini's etc. about

3mm thick and solid steed and a 2" + diameter?

A toolbox was not complete without a handful of them. And each trip to the scrappy

would not be coomplete without another few in the pile.

Looks a handy bit of kit though...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bit old and hope some people are still around but I were driving around with the ABS fuse out until I renewed the wheel bearing last week but I am still getting the same problem when braking? (ABS trying to kick in when pulling up at a junction and no ABS light on)

Would the fault codes be still in the ICU that's causing the problem and clearing them would solve it?

Cheers

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Think it unlikely that codes would be your problem - sorry! But always worth a try. Most Abs is generally pretty self-healing though. If you can read codes should hopefully give you an idea where fault lies. Are you getting any warning lights or just early triggering - how early - soon as the pedal is touched or soon as the car starts to slow?
If you have forscan I think you can monitor the pids for the individual sensors...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Think it unlikely that codes would be your problem - sorry! But always worth a try. Most Abs is generally pretty self-healing though. If you can read codes should hopefully give you an idea where fault lies. Are you getting any warning lights or just early triggering - how early - soon as the pedal is touched or soon as the car starts to slow?
If you have forscan I think you can monitor the pids for the individual sensors...
Before I renewed the wheel bearing, when slowing down at a junction you could feel the ABS trying to kick in and not brake properly, (like a judder at the brake) I've renewed the wheel bearing (with ABS) and its still doing the same? Just wondering is the faults codes are still in the ICU that saying they is still a fault with the ABS?

No ABS light on..

Thanks

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
What did you use to read the codes (or how did you decide which wheel to address?)

I had garage read codes on my daughter's Peugeot - their kit identified the wrong sensors as faulty...

Coming on at the wrong time I'd kind of start by assuming sensor readings differ between wheels..bearing? Flat tyre? Mismatched tyre? I know these are all very unlikely but I'm really scratching my head on this one....

·
Clever Clauggs
4,579 Posts
I get a slight abs grind when reversing at a angle off a drive and braking,

probably due to one wheel rotating more than the other,though you are

travelling in a straight line could there be a indifference of braking power

in the calipers.

Have the braking force checked on each wheel as in a Mot

Could just be loose wiring

·
Registered
46 Posts
What did you use to read the codes (or how did you decide which wheel to address?)

I had garage read codes on my daughter's Peugeot - their kit identified the wrong sensors as faulty...

Coming on at the wrong time I'd kind of start by assuming sensor readings differ between wheels..bearing? Flat tyre? Mismatched tyre? I know these are all very unlikely but I'm really scratching my head on this one....

My mate put the car on his diagnostic and it came up that the drivers side wheel bearing were faulty but the sensor were ok as it never brought up a fault code and like I say, I've had the wheel bearing done but the ABS is still faulty?

Mate can't put it back on the diagnostic as he doesn't work at the garage no more?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I get a slight abs grind when reversing at a angle off a drive and braking,

probably due to one wheel rotating more than the other,though you are

travelling in a straight line could there be a indifference of braking power

in the calipers.

Have the braking force checked on each wheel as in a Mot

Could just be loose wiring

Its defo the ABS as its still the same as it was before the wheel bearing were changed?

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
My daughter's car is (was, drives a BMW now) a Peugeot. These are a pain for home diagnostics. In the end, I worked it out by resistance checks and using the cars error detection which did different things depending on how many sensors were down. For Mondeo, forscan does most stuff. I don't have my car anymore and can't recall for sure if I tried it now, but be surprised if it didn't. Just needs a laptop and decent clone elm327 cable.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My daughter's car is (was, drives a BMW now) a Peugeot. These are a pain for home diagnostics. In the end, I worked it out by resistance checks and using the cars error detection which did different things depending on how many sensors were down. For Mondeo, forscan does most stuff. I don't have my car anymore and can't recall for sure if I tried it now, but be surprised if it didn't. Just needs a laptop and decent clone elm327 cable.
Where would you purchase forscan and the elm327 cable..?

Thanks

21 - 40 of 43 Posts