Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm having a problem with my 1998 1.8 Verona and wondered if anyone had any advice? If I've duplicated a thread that someone has already posted then sorry!

Basically my Mondeo has done 78k and it has a problem where if I try and accelerate beyond 2000(ish) rpm the power drops right off and the engine sort of feels like it it wants to stall. Also I'm starting to get a little rattle when I accelerate in 1st or 2nd gear.

I'd be glad for any advice.

·
It was 49.95
10,123 Posts
Im afraid to me this sounds alot like a catalytic converter breakup beginning to happen. Rattling is charachteristics of the plates breaking up inside the cat and blocking the system.

Many places do free emissions tests so go down there, if they are up really high then its 9 times out of 10 gunna be the cat (not too expensive) failing that, a blocked air filter as james suggested

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I am having similar problems. This is my first Mondeo (1998 2.0Si) and when I started hearing a rattling noise from around the front of the exhaust I dismissed it as a noisy heat shield that I'd sort out at a later date. However, on my daily trip to work (this morning) I pulled out to overtake on the dual carriage way and the car felt very sluggish - almost like I was I driving up a very steep hill - no power! Same story on the way home tonight :(. Funny thing is that the rattle seems to becoming less pronounced?

A friend also suggested that this may be a CAT issue

Is this a common problem with the Mondeo or just CATs in general?

Thanks

Jim

G

·
my mondy also is lacking in power and rattles at higher revs, BUT the cat doesnt rattle at high revs, it has been suggested and further investigations are to happen that there is something broken inside the inlet manifold somewhere plus a possible backfire has cracked the inlet aswell....

i wil post up the restults of further tests as i recieve them

·
Still waiting to Wii
2,710 Posts
Yetifur said:
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I am having similar problems. This is my first Mondeo (1998 2.0Si) and when I started hearing a rattling noise from around the front of the exhaust I dismissed it as a noisy heat shield that I'd sort out at a later date. However, on my daily trip to work (this morning) I pulled out to overtake on the dual carriage way and the car felt very sluggish - almost like I was I driving up a very steep hill - no power! Same story on the way home tonight :(. Funny thing is that the rattle seems to becoming less pronounced?

A friend also suggested that this may be a CAT issue

Is this a common problem with the Mondeo or just CATs in general?

Thanks

Jim
mondies are known for having cats break up, replace it NOW

·
It was 49.95
10,123 Posts
eazyg Id maybe suggest taking it somewhere and getting a good compression test, should show if theres a crack on the manifold or something. Failing that take the whole exhaust off and shake it.

The reason you should replace the cats when they start to go on these very quickly is that the plates can get picked up, fly out of the cat and get loged somewhere in your exhaust system as they so nearly were with me. PLUS mondeo cats are well known for blowing steam above them into the engine bay. Guess what sits above the cat on your mondeo. A vacuum hose for the brake lines.

G

·
MONDEO IS GOING INTO GARAGE NEXT WEEK FOR TESTING ETC, EXHAUST MANIFOLD HAS GOT A BIG CRACK ACROSS THE TOP OF IT, BUT THERES SOMETHING NOT RIGHT AT BACK OF ENGINE/ INLET MANIFOLD AREA. I WILL POST UP WHAT IS FOUND AND FIXED ETC WHEN ALL IS DONE.
CHEERS

·
Registered
3 Posts
alex-the-lad, on top of advice already given, which is correct, i would also check the plugs for tiny black lines, this indicates a miss-fire and could have damaged the coil pack, in turn un-burnt fuel from miss-fire will find its way into cat and get burnt there causing the cat to break up and possibly block further down exhaust system. Do you have any engine management lights on dash? has car been serviced according to service log?

·
MEG Corporal
801 Posts
sorry lads, but how much cost you the cat replacement exercise?
after more than 6-7 months of eng simphony i hear something like ringing/rattle now. is that what is cat suppose to do?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Before I changed the cat I got a rattle when I accelerated in 1st or 2nd gear - this has gone now. I had no choice but to go for a cheaper aftermarket cat whch still cost me 70 quid and then I paid a local garage 30 to fit it for me. Just hope the new cat is good enough to get through the emissions test at the MOT in February...

·
Yo
3,632 Posts
eazyg said:
[color:purple]WHOS' SHOUTING?[/color]

:question:
Typeing in uppercase is considered shouting in web etiquette, and is difficult for people to read as it gives the impression of shouting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.