Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi guys,

Pretty new to this forum even if I used to check this and other ford's forums for infos. So a giant HI to everyone and thank you for everyone has shared their ideas/guides/tips etc :rocker:

I bought 2 years ago a Mondeo Mk4 - 2.0 TDCI 140cv. Car is solid and engine runs well. I'm dealing with poor MPG & frequent regens (every 300km even if I'm using premium diesel), but I suspect EGR + turbo hoses.

My real concern, however, is regarding the active grille:

• it's stuck open and it never closes down when I turn off the engine.
  • I have tried to lubricate the active grille with some WD40 and the plastic mechanism --> No changes :darn:
  • Cleaned the 4-pole electric connector & actuator contacts with dry contact cleaner --> No changes and there were no oxidation at all. Wires are fine, no cuts & co. :darn:
  • if you close manually the active grille, It will just pop an ECU error and opens as soon as engine is turned on and will stay like that until engine is turned off.
  • Tried to clear the code and re-do the process --> No changes :themrs:

To sum up, actuator and grille seem in good working condition. It received 12v. I suspect it cannot properly communicate with ECU and that triggers the "open emergency mode".

I have checked online for similar problems, but I could not find any real infos for my situation. Most of the cases it was due to corrosion or oxidation, but does not really seems my case (or at least I don't think so).
I spotted a 3D on a forum, where people were speaking about a new connector that has to be soldered 'cause the wires are part of a big loom and seems pretty expensive to buy.

Anyone have any idea or part number for this replacement?

Cheers!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had this issue and it was oxidisation at the plug to shutter motor, had to repin and solder and all was good.

just used the original connector

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had this issue and it was oxidisation at the plug to shutter motor, had to repin and solder and all was good.

just used the original connector
So you disassembled the shutter and re-solder the connect pins? Is it painful or quite ok?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Regen every 300 km in the summer is normal on a DW10C due to high EGR dutycycle. Under 5 degrees the EGR is always shut and you have regens every 700-1100 km so probably nothing wrong with that bit of the car.

·
8 gears or more please
TrevorB BMW320 M Sport 2020 M Sport Pro Pack. Tech Pack (Head Up Display)
5,522 Posts
Matteo, just to clarify a point.

In your post No 1 you say "it's stuck open and it never closes down when I turn off the engine".

It won't close when you turn off engine. When you turn off engine it should go to fully open.

It is working correctly if it does this......

When ignition off, shutters are open.
Start car from cold, shutters should fully close.
Turn air con on, shutters should slightly open.
If motor fails or wiring or some other fault, shutters will default to open position at all times.

Have you gone through the various threads shown on here

https://talkford.com/community/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

1 - 6 of 6 Posts