Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!!

Got a problem
Seems my 2ltr 2000 (Y) Mondy has an actuator problem (or so the local garage tells me) as its not 'working' as there is no 'umph' when I press my foot to the shag pile!!
No lights on th dash but apart from this,everything is fine.
Traced the pipe from the actuator and there is little if not no suction/pressure in the pipe at all?
Traced again the pipe to a black box almost under the engine connected by 2 leads and a further pipe (which seem to be connected).
Looks like there is no suction/pressure coming from this black box either!
Said garage bloke said it could be a fuse :/
It feels as if the actuator kicks in every now and then too.
Please,any ideas!

Thank you all

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
The manifold flaps actuator?

·
Premium Member
4,192 Posts

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
tddi or tdci

·
???
3,628 Posts
Hi Andy,

Check whether you have suction on the other pipe that connects to the solenoid on the front of the engine. If not then follow that pipe back to the vacuum pump and check it for splits or perished ends.
Also check that you have suction at the vacuum pump.

Try connecting the pipe from the vacuum pump directly to the turbo actuator and see if the rod/arm moves.

If all the plumbing seems ok then replace the solenoid.

Peter

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Peter.
Will give this a go and let you know the outcome.(prob wont be til the weekend tho lol)

Cheers again

·
MEG Corporal
5,689 Posts
plus Peter on this sounds like a solenoid or vaccume problem . the solenoids are the little black box es you traced the minbore rubber back to .. sounds like you are not getting vaccume back along this pipe to suck the a actuator diaphram ..and this is resulting in lack of power .. p.s . normally you would not get vaccume on this pipe until the revs and up to about 1.5krpm or thereabouts so try getting herself to gently press the go pedal and then see if it vacs up .. but as Peter says they do go rong ..usualy down to solenoid of split pipe..
Also i recon ther are possibly two solenoids side by side .on that motor and you may be able to swap them around to see if one of them is us.... depending on the model which is a bit vague . on ur next post 'a#andy if yo supply service history and all relevant detail pert..the model .and any previous work would be handy for the guys to no.s

·
???
3,628 Posts
Also i recon ther are possibly two solenoids side by side .on that motor and you may be able to swap them around to see if one of them is us....
Unfortunately when there are two solenoids Henry conveniently fitted different electrical plugs so they couldn't get mixed up.

Peter

·
MEG Corporal
5,689 Posts
yep good point Pete but the plugs have been know to mysteriously duplicate also . lol . anyway im on second thoughts about the diag..lol .. i now think Andy may have some either prob.. as the actuator being energized is basically reliveing pressure like the wgate in the conventional .. garrettt. .. so if he is getting no umph in the first place surely thiis is down to lack of boost due to leak in the .turbo pipework .or stickie vains in the turbo .. or simply sticking turbo compressor . .. so mabey Andy you shuld have your turbo checked for a fault also . and if you wish to check it yourself then one way is to fit a boost gauge .with a rating or around 0 to 50 psi .range . to the turbo outlet ..i.e from the turbo to the exhaust inlet pipework. or for a quick test ..pull the rubber pipe which connects onto the inlet manifold ..this is the turbo boost pipe inlet air feed . and have somebody rev.the motor whilst you hold the palm of your hand over the rubber elbow and you should get between 18 to 20 odd psi . i.e you should feel the boost .. its not the most scientific test but it works to indicate if any psi boost is coming from the turbo. p.s if you do this test try not to block the pipe for long periods as this puts undue pressure on the pipework and may damage it .. s

·
???
3,628 Posts
i now think Andy may have some either prob.. as the actuator being energized is basically reliveing pressure like the wgate in the conventional .. garrettt. ..
Hi Salta,
Fair point.
Peter

1 - 14 of 14 Posts