Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my hands on a 2015 Titanium X, which I believe has adaptive headlights, but they don't move on starting, or whilst driving, neither is the according for light coming on when making a turn.

Any thoughts?

·
Ford Fan
305 Posts
The lights will have Ford Dynamic LED written inside the headlight as per the attached pic if they are Adaptive. The daytime running lights will be a thin strip along the bottom of the headlight and the front indicators will strobe out towards the edge of the light. You won't have a headlight adjustment knob in the centre of the light switch either.
3f1223344a43edb6c75a140092f7f251.jpg

·
Ford Fan
305 Posts
You have them so. I think they only work as adaptive if you have them switched as far as Auto (all the way clockwise to the icon with the A in the centre). If you just switch them on as far as the second click (picture of a headlight) they stay as normal headlights.
1d39e3107533c933cb02ee619b4a72e2.jpg

·
8 gears or more please
TrevorB BMW320 M Sport 2020 M Sport Pro Pack. Tech Pack (Head Up Display)
5,495 Posts
If you have them they only work with switch in auto position. It is not tiny writing. You can't miss it if you have them.on the very side of light unit where it meets the wing it says Ford dynamic LED in black font

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Hi

As above post, you can't really miss logo.

Peter

Attachments

·
8 gears or more please
5,495 Posts
Your picture confirms you have them. Also as you have a Titanium X, it means it has the X pack option which included the headlight upgrade.
If you have the light switch on Auto position and the lights do not move when you start the car in the dark there is something wrong with them

·
Super Moderator
1,507 Posts
My RH Adapative light malfunctioned recently and put both lights in a safe mode. No light response to steering or speed.
ForScan revealed a General Electric Fault in the RH headlamp module. I reset the HCM module and ran the extended movement test and it began to work again.
When they work the LEDs are brilliant but if they go into safe mode the beam patten is very short almost to the point of being useless.
My adaptives continued to work ok for a couple of days then failed again. This time to reset I just switched off ignition for 10 seconds and they reset themselves.

Park up against a garage door with headlights on and see if the headlights turn when you steer left and right.
Even when mine were in safe mode they did the initial startup test but wouldn't respond to steering angle.

Cost:
The RH adaptive headlight complete is £753+vat or do I take a risk and pay £162.97 for a control module.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Cost:
The RH adaptive headlight complete is £753+vat or do I take a risk and pay £162.97 for a control module.
Sorry to read you are experiencing a fault with your RH adaptive lamp unit.

I do hope these units are generally reliable because at those prices it makes my eyes water!

It looks like the control modules interchangeable so perhaps swap RH for LH and prove if the control module is cause of fault.

13C788

Module - Lighting Control

RH/LH
  • from 29.09.2014, Mondeo 2014 -

·
Super Moderator
1,507 Posts
Thanks for the info Bandit, great tip.
I'm guessing the HCM module is on the underside of the lamp unit so means headlight removal which will involve removing the bumper cover, why couldn't they put the module on the top lol.

I contacted Ford on their U.K. Facebook page (promoting adaptive headlamps) and so far they have ignored my posts.
My MK5 is due it's MOT in the next month and if it fails I will be escalating the case along with evidence of other MK5 failures to a TV journalist.

Automotive parking light Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Car

Attachments

·
8 gears or more please
5,495 Posts
Hi Mal, sorry to hear of your prob. Like Bandit says, I am also not happy with an "early day/mlg failure" on what I expect to be a quality item that one would expect to have at least a life of 5 years.

If they can't produce a headlight that should last at least 5 years, especially at their cost, they should have not introduced them.

No prob with my old Titanium X sport that also had brilliant headlights. It is 7 years old now, I still see the car and owner - no problems ever ever ever from day one - beautiful car.

My Mk5 is due first MOT around Sept 9th and at only 23K I do not expect a fail. The tyres, discs and brake pads are all spot on, and original

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
£750+ vat for the part plus I assume labour is a hefty bill. I have a warranty from dealer I purchased it from for the first 3 months, and then an extended warranty purchased after that. So if that is the problem, it should be covered.

The lights are very bright, and the auto high beams are a neat little trick, but I find that at the very edge of the beam pattern it is distinctly purple, rather than the pure white of the rest of the coverage of the beam. Has anyone else noticed this? Like a purple halo.

·
8 gears or more please
5,495 Posts
Chris, the purple/blue haze is quite standard and a characteristic of these units

Reactions: CLCC

·
Registered
34 Posts
there are a number of used LED headlight units on ebay for £250 - 400

·
Super Moderator
1,507 Posts
there are a number of used LED headlight units on ebay for £250 - 400
Thanks Christian but I'm not interested in 2nd hand offerings from eBay, most are either damaged (plastic welded) repaired or have previously failed.
I would rather Ford address the issue of failing Adaptive units and offer owners recognition that when they specced these units they were sold on the basis of lasting the life of the car.

I think it might be an idea to create a new thread with a roll call of owners who have had issues with adaptive headlights similar to the thread we had for MK4 steering rack failures.

·
8 gears or more please
5,495 Posts
Totally agree with everything you say Mal.
Sod ebay which, is mostly rubbish anyway, scams and lies etc.
A specific thread to the problem is the way to go

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a bit late to the party here, but I have the same problem with the adaptive headlamps on my 2016 Smax. Buckingham ford say that an adaptive headlamp error is leading to the full beams being shut off and they need to replace the sealed unit on the drivers side where the error is, at a cost of (wait for it) £1527.60 - this is after the £114 to tell me this.

Ford want nothing to do with me as the car is too old, but it is ridiculous that to change a main beam bulb costs so much money. More than 10% of the cars value.

Did anyone get anywhere with Ford or come up with another solution? I'm just about to try to call some senior ford directors to shout at them !

Thanks Christian but I'm not interested in 2nd hand offerings from eBay, most are either damaged (plastic welded) repaired or have previously failed.
I would rather Ford address the issue of failing Adaptive units and offer owners recognition that when they specced these units they were sold on the basis of lasting the life of the car.

I think it might be an idea to create a new thread with a roll call of owners who have had issues with adaptive headlights similar to the thread we had for MK4 steering rack failures.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts