Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
beethoven
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mounted today the cold air feed. The Active Grill Shutter has to be completely disassembled , and is of no use anymore. It had to disappear, I knew. To make sure no error message appears and he would not store anything in memory, the shutter -motor removed from the shroud and mounted back, also the temperature sensor. The shutter motor is placed " somewhere" in the bumper because there is no mounting position on the front anymore. And the temperature sensor I will mount behind the grille Grille Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Grille Vehicle registration plate Tire Vehicle Hood
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Car

Attachments

·
8 gears or more please
TrevorB BMW320 M Sport 2020 M Sport Pro Pack. Tech Pack (Head Up Display)
5,497 Posts
That's a nice "water scoop" lol

·
Dash cams, catch 'em out :)
13,164 Posts
In combination with a sporrtfilter & bigger IC, it will..
The air inlet place of the mk5, you can hardly name it 'cold'...
Whats a sport filter?
Thats a serious question as the offerings from K and N and Pipercross are proven to be more restrictive than the OEM filters despite their wild and unfounded claims to offer 'x' extra hp.

·
dont listen to me, you'll have horsepower and
3,288 Posts
I think in the case of a turbo charged engine (I'm assuming this is) it's not that much better to have a cold air induction because the turbo just heats it up, the intercooler is the main factor to cool the air before it enters the engine. Like ray said the standard air box isn't restricted so airflow isn't reduced in anyway. Trying to force air into the turbo is pointless because it'll only take what it can push.

·
Breaking stuff up!
160 Posts
Just my 2 cents,

I was going to spend nearly 200 dollars for a kit on eBay.

Then this happened:

·
3,288 Posts
Just my 2 cents,

I was going to spend nearly 200 dollars for a kit on eBay.

Then this happened:

I love watching these guys they have answered many of my questions lol including this particular video

·
8 gears or more please
5,497 Posts
Hi Thierry,

Some people will think the intake looks good others won't.

But that does not matter.

The change will not make any noticeable difference to the driveability/performance.

Seriously, I would not do it. Manufacturers put air intakes in specific places for a reason.

I have been involved in 3 engine failures (not my cars) due to excess water ingress through the air intake.

Non of these vehicles went through a flood of water.

They all happened after driving quite some miles on motorways in heavy traffic and torrential rain.

One was a totally standard Ford Fiesta, he was in heavy motorway traffic and vehicles in front went through some serious surface water in the outside lane before the Fiesta did. The consequence was that some of the excessive amount of water/spray thrown up by the other vehs entered the air intake of the Fiesta which then caused the engine to suffer a hydraulic lock up (bent con rods etc)The other 2 vehs I know of were in the same wet conditions but they had both moved their intakes to face totally forward and lower than the headlight positions.

I don't know what roads you drive on but, trust me, you will be "living on the edge" if you run with that "water scoop" fitted.

Add/edit, leave it fitted if you like how it looks but do NOT connect it

Reactions: Vlad Soare

·
beethoven
220 Posts
Description

Want to give your 2nd Gen Fusion a chance to breathe? Then the Velossa Tech BIG MOUTH Ram Air Intake for the 2013-2016 Ford Fusion is the ONLY one that delivers. Our legendary performance-driven line of BIG MOUTH ram intake systems is now available for the 2nd Generation Ford Fusion. You demanded the best intake for Ford Fusion and Velossa Tech delivered with the added personalized flare of the BIG MOUTH, resulting in an industry first!

Designed specifically for Ecoboost Fusion models, the BIG MOUTH utilizes factory inlet location in the radiator support and redirects airflow from above the shroud, to in front of the radiator. The less restrictive tunnel-like plenum then forces air into the factory intake location under the hood, resulting in less restrictive air and lower intake temperatures, all while creating a Ram Air effect. The BIG MOUTH for the Fusion can be used in conjunction with the either factory or aftermarket intake, so long as the aftermarket intake retains the same location as factory. Intake sounds will become more prominent, more so with aftermarket intake, but even in our testing of factory intakes, the turbo inhale was more noticeable. Who doesn't like hearing that Ecoboost wake up right?

Want your Ford Fusion intake to stand out? You got it! The BIG MOUTH is the only ram air system for the Fusion that allows you to choose from over 15 color combinations, giving you the added edge of customization. Want loud and in your face colors? Go for Molten Orange or Performance Blue. Keeping it stealth? Go for black or grey for a more sleeper look. How about make it glow? Yes we said glow! Let's not forget the BIG MOUTH by Velossa Tech is the only Ram Air Intake provider that can craft Air Intake Systems with Neon Glow in the Dark material, providing for the most sinister and aggressive looking intake, even when it's pitch black out.

Installation can be done with basic hand tools in your driveway with no massive surgery necessary. We supply all straight forward instructions, backed with our Customer Support phone number to help guide if any questions arise.

Designed in-house right here in the USA with the latest aerospace fluid flow simulation techniques and methods, backed by hours and hours of R&D, giving your Fusion maximum air flow while looking killer!

Current lead time is 2-3 weeks.

NOTE: Rain or snow do not adversely affect the engine once a BIG MOUTH is installed.

·
8 gears or more please
5,497 Posts
Wow, what fantastic sales blurb. Its an industry first alright.
Rain or snow do not "adversely" affect...... whatever floats your boat, lol

Thierry, next time you are on a motorway, heavy traffic, torrential rain and large patches of surface water, don't tell me you won't secretly be wondering if that water scoop is 100% not letting loads of water into your air intake system with subsequent possible engine damage - come on, face it, it will always be at the back of your mind, ha ha

Reactions: Vlad Soare

·
Dash cams, catch 'em out :)
13,164 Posts
On my previous car, the mondeo mk3, I also had a CAF. never had any issues. And that inlet was straight, this one is bent..
Did you dyno your mk3 before and after fitting it?
The mk3 usually lost up to 2hp with aftermarket induction systems fitted. The funny thing was that the people who had fitted them had read the 'sports sales pitch' offering up to 30% extra hp (67hp extra in the case of the 220.........yeah right) and were convinced that because the induction was louder the car was faster :)

The sales blurb for yours didnt mention any guaranteed gains when I skim read it.
I'd be contacting them to see if they offer a full refund if no gains are made............what would they have to lose?

Edit, just re read the sales blurb. Its just bollocks really to be honest.
I'd love to see how they could prove the far smaller direct intake area was less restrictive than the CAD designed and tested front end that provides six to eight times the collection area for oncoming air at speed.

Reactions: TreborB

·
beethoven
220 Posts
This is the "Statement" by Mr. Dan Becker, ceo of velossa Tech..

Hi Thierry, thank you for contacting me. I would love to address your concerns.

I will go through them one by one.

1. Most high performance vehicles such as porsches, ferarris and BMWs come with the same ram air type systems. These are common on higher end cars because they add performance and cost to the vehicle and can be justified, these cars do not fail in the rain.
  2. I live in south florida USA where it rains every day. We did a lot of rain and water testing and have had zero bad experiences. In fact, we have over 1000 big mouths sold and no one has even mentioned that water did anything adverse to their vehicle. There simply isn't enough water in the rain drops to cause an issue, what the people on your forum are talking about is ingesting a puddle of water 3 feet deep, that is when you could hydrolock. It seems they have no real experience with engine building or how engines work, you don't hydrolock from rain that easily. The filter element will absorb any moisture that will make its way up the big mouth. This is normal.
  3. Auto makers put intakes in 'specific' places for 'specific' reasons. And those reasons are clear for people such as myself who design automotive parts. The reason automakers put intakes in specific places is almost always cost, manufacturing, safety and lead time goals BEFORE performance. Unless you are driving a Ferrari, the intake system of a typical Ford sedan or hatchback is not optimized. OEMs do this on purpose to save cost and make the car more affordable and economical. This is why the aftermarket is a 39 billion dollar industry, there is room for improvement for all cars. If Ford optimized every intake system as those forum guys are expecting, then it would be a Ferrari and not a Ford.
  4. I am a former Aerospace turbine engineer. My job was to use CFD and multiphysics simulation techniques to simulate flow paths in gas turbine engines. I did that for 8 years before I started designing ram intakes. When I set off to design them. I made sure to use my skills and background to optimize my part. I run CFD analysis and go through rigorous iteration after iteration until the part meets my flow requirement and low pressure drop requirement.
  5. The people giving you 'advice' on the forum seem to have little or no experience with air induction components. A ram intake uses the pressure that builds up in front of the car as a source of air instead of the dead cavity behind the bumper where the air pressure is lost back to ambient. Having a slightly higher inlet pressure allows the turbocharger to run a lower wastegate duty cycle to attain target boost. Depending on your tune, if you have a boost targeting tune, you will see in an increase in mass flow of air which equates directly to power. We test our intakes and make sure they net gains before we sell them to the public.
Here is our performance data we tested on the highway with our Focus line of ram air intakes. This is an example of the type of gains my ram intakes can generate.

https://www.velossatechdesign.com/performance-data/focus-big-mouth-performance-data/

·
3,288 Posts
I think it looks good behind the grill but he's not going to slate his own product. If you get the chance to reply please ask him to remove his head from his arsehole, if somebody wanted to retro this mod then a simple subwoofer port pushed into the bumper will do and only cost £3

·
Registered
108 Posts
It would be interesting to read the email that you sent to the CEO, as this forum and its users/contributors were obviously mentioned. His response was rather rude in relation to the people who have been passing on their knowledge and experience. I have had lots of good advice on here, and have hopefully been able to help others too, it wouldn't be my first thought to go and 'tattle' to the CEO if I didn't agree with someone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
3,288 Posts
I am sorry to hear that.Such rude comment. However, this is your (&others) opinion, but do you have to be so rude?
Come on...
Not intended to be rude I do apologise if that's how it was taken it's just a saying.

·
3,288 Posts
I however don't apologise for his comments about the forum. I'm sure many of us could show him a thing or two. I'd say his comments was far worse than mine. At no point am I directing any comment at you Beethoven but for a CEO I would expect more of a professional response. Like I said in a previous comment, he will NOT say his own product can risk hydrolock and fine spray CAN pass the filter. Would you use a paper umbrella?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts