Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Mondeo ST Line X hatchback 2.0 TDCi 180.
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering how easy/possible this is? i gather that some, if not all Estates either have a 12v socket fitted or the wiring is there on the right side (i think someone said) of the boot ready to fit one BUT as the car ive bought today (so not yet collected) is a hatch, and also has the Sony sound system (so theres a panel down the right side of the boot with what looks like a subwoofer in it) im wondering if the wiring will be there, or even if such a thing is possible/feasable without butchering the car up too much?

also, im considering a better dashcam and fitting a hardwire kit. where is good to take the power from in the fusebox? prefer an ignition controlled fuse as i dont want the camera to flatten the battery on the car, as my driveway has people/cars passing constantly which triggers the camera.

all help greatfully received. thanks in advance

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
nobody ever managed to do this? ive seen a couple of old threads online about this, at least one of them links back to this site, but none of them seem to give any definitive answer one way or the other as to whether this can be done or not
looks like another mystery, much like the sync updating over wifi (which mine also flat out refuses to do despite having great signal where its parked all night every night!). car says no updates found. website says otherwise so ill update by USB BUT its a bit of a pain when it wont do it itself, even though auto updates etc are set to ON

·
rab mk1
63 Posts
hi bud if your car has the towbar plug under the passenger side quarter panel cover could you not wire it into that, the plug sits right at the bottom of the wheeltub at rear. hope this helps

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi bud if your car has the towbar plug under the passenger side quarter panel cover could you not wire it into that, the plug sits right at the bottom of the wheeltub at rear. hope this helps
it might have yes. just got the car last week, but it does have a towbar on it, so not sure if it would cope with running a 12v socket with a fridge/coolbox plugged in as well (potentially) as the trailer?

·
rab mk1
63 Posts
hi if its a 7 pin plug on it there should not be a problem but the 13 pin one that are mostly use on caravans a dont know as most caravans do have a fridge in them anyway, thats all i have found out so far as was going to put 12v socket in mine sorry couldnt be more help

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi if its a 7 pin plug on it there should not be a problem but the 13 pin one that are mostly use on caravans a dont know as most caravans do have a fridge in them anyway, thats all i have found out so far as was going to put 12v socket in mine sorry couldnt be more help
yes its got a 13 pin socket on it. i think they pretty much all have them now as i gather it was in some regulation, and to be fair even though i dont have a caravan myself, the newer 13 pin sockets/plugs do seem to be a more secure way of doing things than the older 7 pin ones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts