Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Doesnt work like that. The computer is probably already there but what you will need is the dashboard reprogramming to unlock the extra functions (so not just the temp function), and the info stalk to cycle through these.

Not entirely sure what this would set you back to be honset to get done - or if a Ford dealer would be able to do it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Been to one Ford dealer to check this. I allready installed the stalk with info-button, when pressed I hear a beep.

Ford claimed they could't add the boardcomputer using WDS, but I think it's possible and they just don't want to do it. :shifty: They claimed you can activate cruise control once the components etc were installed, but activating the boardcomputer isn't possible.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Anybody got any further on this subject? I know replacing the complete dials for ones with a working BC will work but the ones I found are all over 100 euro's and I think somehow it must be possible to just activate the functionality like you guys think but how...?

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
you can NOT activate the functions the only way to do it is change the dials and get an info stalk

·
MEG Corporal
543 Posts
Exactly u can't just activate it. Trust me I tried a lot.

But I have found out that u can reprogramme the cluster back to factory state. And to get the info u need the vin no.
Basically u put the vin no in and it tells u what functions u car came with from factory.

Now there is a trick

U could in theory reprogramme your clocks to a factory state of another car ie with trip comp.
But u have to find some 1 with same car as your but who had trip computer from the factory.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Exactly u can't just activate it. Trust me I tried a lot.

But I have found out that u can reprogramme the cluster back to factory state. And to get the info u need the vin no.
Basically u put the vin no in and it tells u what functions u car came with from factory.

Now there is a trick

U could in theory reprogramme your clocks to a factory state of another car ie with trip comp.
But u have to find some 1 with same car as your but who had trip computer from the factory.
That's very interesting, in what matters should the car you use the VIN from be the same as yours? Buildyear, fuel type?
If you only reprogram the clocks I'd say it doesn't matter at all. The only difference I'm aware of is that the diesel's (like mine) have the glowing-light
which is probably on every dial but engaged only when programmed for a diesel. (I also think that the lights turns on for a default timeperiod no matter the state of the engine or am I guessing wrong?)

Can you explain how to re'program another VIN into the dials works? I'm also discussing on a dutch forum and I guess I can find someone there with a diesel tddi and BC and than I could try the trick.

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
31,293 Posts
Different clocks in a disesl. Speedo & Rev counter can vary between models.

Rev counter 5000rpm diesel or 8000 rpm petrol. Speedo 150mph or 170mph.

I think preface cars may have different speed figures?

·
MEG Corporal
543 Posts
The dial face is different but pcb and micro is same. Basically ford has a database of configuration files for each module in a car as it leaves factory. And to get the configuration data u need to enter the vin no into the database.
So once u got the configuration file u can programme it into the module.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The dial face is different but pcb and micro is same. Basically ford has a database of configuration files for each module in a car as it leaves factory. And to get the configuration data u need to enter the vin no into the database.
So once u got the configuration file u can programme it into the module.
Okay so do I need to enter another VIN into "a" database, get the config file and somehow put that into the dials (via WDS I suppose tough I don't know the system at all). Or do I need to enter the VIN of a
car with BC directly into my dials. In both cases, can you explain exactly what actions should be taken? I'd be very grateful

·
MEG Corporal
543 Posts
Get me the vin no. And I will get u the as built data. It's in hex so u have to enter it like e.g. FF34AC .etc
U need ford ids. And u have to programme it as new module
Disconnect ur clocks so it can't pull the info. Then it will say enter asbuilt data u enter it and then it will say connect new module
U connect ur clocks back up.
And follow the prompts. Easy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Okay, just to be clear:
1. I give you the VIN no of a diesel with BC (the hex code) and than you get the AS built data. (what do you mean with the ford ids? is it a device or do you mean "id's"?)
2. Than I disconnect my clocks.
3. But where will I then enter the new asbuilt data?
4. After entering the asbuilt data I reconnect the clocks and I should have BC.

Do I need a ODB connector of some sort or do I program the asbuilt data via some other device which I'd need (and can possibly use one from one of the dutch ford fanatics who have quit some impressive tools at home)?

Thanks in advance! Looking very forward to try this out, I'm now asking for the VIN no and I will get one asap

·
Super Moderator
31,293 Posts
I think IDS is the software required. Not sure what equipment it works on.

Seen prices for recommended equipment $2500

·
Registered
21 Posts
I did some googling, It's a very advanced diagnostics system for Ford. You can also use it to set certain settings in your car. I have found someone willing to give his 02' tddi with BC vin no to me, only need to find some dutch guy who has an Ford IDS and than I'd be set-up.

·
Super Moderator
31,293 Posts
Just realised all this to add a trip computer which is as useful as a chocolate teapot. If you really must fit one why not
just buy the info stalk and dash pod off ebay?

Waste of effort and pixels on the screen

·
Registered
21 Posts
It is (if I can find some'one who ownes a Ford IDS) much cheaper, the avg dash costs about 150-300 euro's. If you know cheaper ones, please point me in the right direction

And this way you save the original mileage.

·
MEG Corporal
543 Posts
It is (if I can find some'one who ownes a Ford IDS) much cheaper, the avg dash costs about 150-300 euro's. If you know cheaper ones, please point me in the right direction

And this way you save the original mileage.
Exactly

Ford Ids / vcm is the tool that ford dealerships use.
I have had mine for just over 2 years and it's 1 of the best tools that I got.
Pt me the vin no and I will get the asbuilt data for instrument cluster for u.
Then just find some 1 local to u who has ids.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.