Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I got a tyre changed yesterday and my car feels awful to drive. I have 225/60/16 in front and 225/55/16 on back. Tyre guy put proper tyre size (215/55/16) on it, now there's 3 different sized tyres on. My car started to pull left and the steering wheel was shuddering. My long winded question is does it matter if I have bigger tyres on it all round. Pam

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using TalkFord.com mobile app

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
It doesn't matter what size tyres are on the front or on the back, as long as the 2 front tyres are the same size and the 2 rear tyres are the same size. All 4 can be the same, or 2 of 1 size, 2 of another.

If you are running a bigger tyre than what is supposed to be on it, you might find this will have an effect on the speedometer, as you could actually be going faster than what the speedo reads (not good around speed cameras). You can find out this by using a 'tyre size calculator'. The first size should be the size that should be on the car, and the second, is what you want to fit on it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
If 215/55/16 is your desired size (or the OEM fit) it should give you the properties regarded best for the car (and if wheels are balanced and aligned also the best comfort).

All car speedometers are off (more or less) which you'd notice if you have a GPS. Apart from the speedometer being off, different sizes might also disturb your ABS as it believe you're in loss of traction. And changing the size on the driving wheels of course affects the total gear ratio which on some cars increases fuel consumption severely.

If +/- 5% is considered acceptable the following sizes can be used:
http://spidybot.com/tyre.png

Rolling restance, correct fitment (direction of rotation), tyre pressure and deformation (wear) have an infulence on the drive so if mixing the result can be unpredictive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts