Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
Having recently bought a 2010 (59 Plate) Mondeo Titanium X 2.0TDCi estate. I have replaced the faulty head unit wit my Kenwood DDX8016DABS which was previously installed in my last car.
prior to the installation, I’d noted just how good the speakers were, especially the sub, that seemed to reside within the dash somewhere?
Fast forward to the current head unit, and this particular speaker appears to have been disabled during the swap?
Would anyone know where this speaker gets its feed from, and how I may be able to get it powered up again to use with my Kenwood please? Any help would be much appreciated thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
31,104 Posts
Sub in the dash? As standard 4 tweeters and 4 speakers. Have you connected to the tweeters only?

·
Registered
Mondeo MK5 Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
631 Posts
Not sure if it was a sub or not but my 2012 Titanium X had a speaker in the dash somewhere as well. There was no distortion if the bass was turned up so the ninth speaker may well have been a sub.

Maybe you're new head unit doesn't have a connection for the extra speaker.

·
Super Moderator
31,104 Posts

·
Registered
Mondeo MK5 Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
631 Posts
I honestly couldn't tell you. The car I had had the sony stereo and 9 speakers 2 in each door and one mounted behind the dash somewhere that was the standard Titanium x package. There was an upgrade option with more speakers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure if it was a sub or not but my 2012 Titanium X had a speaker in the dash somewhere as well. There was no distortion if the bass was turned up so the ninth speaker may well have been a sub.

Maybe you're new head unit doesn't have a connection for the extra speaker.
Hi there. This is what I thought. I’ve had two titanium x mondeo’s prior to this one, but this is the first with as rich, deep bass. The same as yours, it’s very clear, even at high volume, but since changing the head unit, I seem to have lost this elemeof sound!!

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Hi there. This is what I thought. I’ve had two titanium x mondeo’s prior to this one, but this is the first with as rich, deep bass. The same as yours, it’s very clear, even at high volume, but since changing the head unit, I seem to have lost this elemeof sound!!
The MK4 was never delivered with a subwoofer in the dash, The only OEM, was in the spare wheel well. However, if your car came with the "Hi-End" Sony radio, the 8 speakers (6,5" + tweeters in all doors ) are of decent quality, and do sound good with the Sony head unit, with quite a good amount of low end punch.

In your case, it's probably either the preamp/amp in your Kenwood, isn't very good, or the connections aren't right.

I found the sound with my Sony unit very good, and even after replacing the Sony with a Chinese aftermarket Android unit, the sound is still just as good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The original head unit fitted to the car is the sat nav RDS unit, with a six disc cd changer in the rear luggage compartment, but sadly lacking from the system I had in my previous vehicle, which has a DAB system, reversing camera, Apple Car Play, and a very respectable pre amp. It’s also driving a 250 watt sub in the rear, but I’ve definitely lost the drive from the front speakers. It was reinstalled by a local professional, so it’s likely just a case of tuning the speakers in the various menus??

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
The original head unit fitted to the car is the sat nav RDS unit, with a six disc cd changer in the rear luggage compartment, but sadly lacking from the system I had in my previous vehicle, which has a DAB system, reversing camera, Apple Car Play, and a very respectable pre amp. It’s also driving a 250 watt sub in the rear, but I’ve definitely lost the drive from the front speakers. It was reinstalled by a local professional, so it’s likely just a case of tuning the speakers in the various menus??
Probably, yes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts