Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First - A polite hello to you all! This is Not an AD.
I'm attempting to sell a Fiesta for an elderly neighbour. It is hardly used and she wants something smaller.
I've driven it a few miles and all seemed OK. I then drove it the 50 yards from Her drive to mine and, again, OK.
I went out 10 minutes later and it refused to start AND the Air Bag On light was illuminated (Plus a random bleeper.)
Now either it has had an incredible coincidence of developing a fault in teh 50 yards I drove it OR
me moving the seat back (?) has broken a connection somewhere?
Anyone any experience of this and tell me of a likely place for an errant connector has it has totally *** the handover for her new car.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
30,347 Posts
You need to read the fault codes. OBDII reader with Forscan software is the popular choice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for the reply, I'm at a bit of a loss!
Am I correct in suspecting that if this fault was caused by a temporary wiring break (moving the seat?) the fault code would still be registered in the computer even if the fault was corrected? I.E. I would not know if it had been corrected or not!

Are the cheap readers avaiable on EBay any use or just junk?

·
Super Moderator
30,347 Posts
I have handheld readers (Autel) but I dont use them on Fords, I much prefer a dongle and the Forscan
software. Whether its on my Android phone/tablet or a windows laptop device.

Some of the handheld devices wont read all the codes stored, it will show a couple of the latest codes
but possibly not the older codes.

Is it the seat, without the codes it could be anything. Possibly a fuelling or EGR valve issue is its been
standing. Codes required to know where to start.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks for the replies people. Sorry for the delay, hit by the dreaded COVID for 2 weeks. Sadly I've had no luck with a local garage. Where have the mechanics gone? These days it would appear that garages are no more mechanics than a flat pack kitchen fitter is a skilled carpenter.
Local twerps just brushed it off with "they all do that" nonsense. I pointed out that that ain't what it stated in the owners manual and just got a blank look.

Car is a 2014 Fiesta basic with only 15500 miles. Serviced every 2K, so it should be worth the effort of getting right. (Scuffed on all corners in true granny style!)

First Ford I've had for decades!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have handheld readers (Autel) but I dont use them on Fords, I much prefer a dongle and the Forscan
software. Whether its on my Android phone/tablet or a windows laptop device.

Some of the handheld devices wont read all the codes stored, it will show a couple of the latest codes
but possibly not the older codes.

Is it the seat, without the codes it could be anything. Possibly a fuelling or EGR valve issue is its been
standing. Codes required to know where to start.
Dongle?? I thought they were for receiving FreeView :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts