Ford Automobiles Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I need some advice not sure if it's the clutch, gearbox or a simple clutch release bearing. 1.6 style petrol 07.

When I change gears up 1-3 the car appears to rev/rattle for a few seconds when I let go of the accelerator, doesn't seem to do it 4/5 gear though I think the car engine is too loud to hear if it present at that point. Clutch doesn't slip. If I'm driving, release the accelerator it rattles stops after a few seconds or sooner if I put the clutch in, that being said I can't get it to happen stationary. The car appears healthy, just quite embarrassing in and out the car. Like most people when they hear a noise I just turn up the radio!????

I'm no mechanic ???? and it's my first manual so sorry I can't be very descriptive but happy to follow advice. Is it the clutch, or something catastrophic...?
I can only describe the noise as a old bike chain or a ratchet going the wrong way but only a matter of seconds.

Appreciate the support ????

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I noticed a air leak somewhere when revving the engine, but only for a slight second of revving and then it stops. Can't be heard in the cabin, I only noticed when I was showing my friend the engine while revving slightly.

It's coming from the area circled in orange by the sounds of it, the blue line to the air filter is all sealed and appears fine.
Anyone else had this, anything I can do? It's hard to diagnose as it only happens on the slight tap of the accelerator

(Someone mentioned this was normal and very common in a 1.6, just seeing if anyone else gets it?)

1.6 Petrol style - 07

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,376 Posts
Pinking probably due to your air leak. It can damage the engine so best to

avoid that.

Threads merged.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The circles area is the inlet manifold, so any air leaks here will be after any sensors or controls. Weak mix can cause pinking but I have the same engine as you but auto, it pinks like a good 'un at the slightest suggestion of throttle opening. Not right, but common. Try to isolate the air leak and/or use a higher octane fuel to see if that helps the pinking. The leak you mention might be 'induction roar'...normal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not sure if you are getting the replies but if higher octane fuel helps, then use that or get a thorough de-carbon done. A decent garage should be able to see if the 'timing' is right, but it's not like the old days when you used a strobe light and white paint.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts