Ford Automobiles Forum banner

air stinks when set warm

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  ul9601 
#1 ·
'03 pre-facelift poverty pack, manual air conditioning.

For whatever reason, air coming thru when the knob is set to warm smells a bit like a sewage treatment plant, but obviously the smell is not that strong.

When the knob is set to cold, I smell nothing. It makes no difference if the fan or a/c is on or not, other than the volume of air coming thru the vents.

Any idea what it might be?

Cheers

#4 ·
Does it smell on recirc mode?

If it's not the pollen filter, I would run one of those air-con cleaners through the system. You might get that "urinal cake" smell for a week or so, but when this fades it should be neutral.

#5 ·
Does it smell on recirc mode?

If it's not the pollen filter, I would run one of those air-con cleaners through the system. You might get that "urinal cake" smell for a week or so, but when this fades it should be neutral.
I'll have to check on that.

What is air-con cleaner - where do you put it?

Cheers

#8 ·
Did you get the cheap element or the more expensive one with the charcoal

filter attached?

#10 ·
As per above, if it still smells when run on recirc for a while try an air con bomb.
I usually stick them in the front passenger footwell.

The long term solution is to run the air con for a bit weekly or monthly to avoid bacteria build up in the rear of the system.

Do you get any kind of headache or tiredness when driving with the smelly air con?

#11 ·
As per above, if it still smells when run on recirc for a while try an air con bomb.
I usually stick them in the front passenger footwell.

The long term solution is to run the air con for a bit weekly or monthly to avoid bacteria build up in the rear of the system.

Do you get any kind of headache or tiredness when driving with the smelly air con?
Nah odour is just unpleasant, that is all. I wouldn't drive it if it made me feel ill, a bit sensitive with that sort of stuff, smells and fumes - fuel smell really gets me.

#13 ·
Nothing should smell that foul!... unless.. You sure you're not missing a cat or anything? ????

#14 ·
Nothing should smell that foul!... unless.. You sure you're not missing a cat or anything?
Ha ha - one time I found cat puke on the cowl... (that was 20 years ago on the car on my avatar) Gave it a good wash and was not as bad as I thought it would be.

I've got a different car for the weekend so will have to try next week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.