Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Has anyone on the site had any dealings with AliExpress, seems to be the Asian version of ebay.

I noticed they sell loads of car accessories at crazily low prices so thought I would try a small purchase.

I easily registered to join site, followed through to place order and check if they would accept paypal. Sure enough AliExpress offered paypal as a payment method but on selecting, web page just sat on processing page.

So my question is as anyone successfully purchased from them, I simply would not be happy to enter any card details in an unknown site.

Peter

·
Registered
1,623 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,787 Posts
Been tempted a few times, but always found a source on ebay.

Like ebay its a bit hit and miss depending on the seller. I was after a DRO kit

for a milling machine. UK prices £650 minimum. Ebay £300+

AliExpress £240.. Deliberated for a while then found an ebay seller at £220, I had an issue

with only half the items being delivered but the seller was great and must have lost money as

they underinsured.

FedEx messed up big time, that saved me customs and vat charges. They billed me twice

and i phoned them and said your having a laugh. They wiped all charges.

I would wonder if they were genuine hardened bolts. Recently bought some Loctite 271 and

243. £7 for 50ml instead og £30 ish from UK stores. One seller had some listed for £3.50..

Wayyy tooo cheap... And it was fake. Same stuff other sellers list as LOCTTLF. Its thicker

than the genuine 243 and more glue like in use. As a general slap it on just in case its

perfect at £3.50 for 50ml.

·
Dash cams, catch 'em out :)
13,104 Posts
Ali express is very different to eBay.

While eBay sells new or second hand items from companies or private individuals Ali express sells mostly new items from companies.

Another huge difference between the two is that Ali express is packed with fake or copied goods. While that makes no difference for something like a floor mat for a car, or coffee mug it does make a huge difference for tools or penknives etc.

I mention penknives as that is a good example. Look on eBay for the Victorinox rescue knife, then look on Ali express for the fake/copy versions they sell.............chalk and cheese springs to mind ;)

There are lots of things to find on Ali Express, I've bought a few things myself. Just also be prepared for a wide range of delivery times :)

·
Dog's Taxi
422 Posts
used them myself and have always been happy with the item and delivery time. The last item i bought from them was the Mondeo headlight washer covers (pair) for just under a fiver with delivery.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi

Well it seems that AliExpress do accept PayPal, signed back onto site to see I had 1 unpaid order in basket.

Retried payment selecting PayPal and money accepted.

Peter

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Hi

First purchase from AliExpress arrived today, pair of projection puddle lights for the all in price of £8.48. Delivery not bad as only ordered on the 11th.

A little fiddly to fit as wires inside mirror barely long enough to reach terminals, this would be the same if replacing with a Ford item.

All I need to do is unclip and turn emblem through 180degrees. Then fit second to drivers side

Peter

Attachments

·
My name is Ken and I'm cool
312 Posts
Let us know if they're still working after 6 months.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi

Just to advise puddle lights still working.

Peter

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Hi

Peter
Glad to hear you have had good experience with AliExpress....my heated seat switches packed in Few years back....Best price here almost £50!!.....Bought from AliExpress for £16.....guess what?.....EXACT same numbers as original Ford & identical....Still working perfectly....On one rare occasion I received the wrong item & contacted seller with offer to return...He/She insisted I keep the item as it was their fault....I had the correct item in under 10 days.....After the treatment I have had here in our own country via ebay from sellers sending either wrong or very cheap knock offs, I can safely say That AliExpress really stands out for politeness, helpfulness, Tracking & sorting problems....Regarding another post....Word of Warning.... I always loved my fishing & a few Christmas back ordered a normal (obviously fake at price) Browning folding knife for a good friend who had become my carer helping me "back into field"...Although this was a normal knife available locally....Customs Decided different....informing me they had destroyed it along with a stern warning....I emailed copy of letter to seller who had argument with customs (To No Avail) but refunded me the price....A kinder customs official explained on phone that due to the growing problems in GB they were simply destroying all....I had explained how mortified I was to get such a stern warning....Post refund the seller said He was sending me another by way of apology... I hastily emailed insisting PLEASE DO NOT SHIP....Soooo.....Tread carefully on knife front....Bought loads bits for moondog & all good (touch wood).......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
13,104 Posts
Hi
Peter
Glad to hear you have had good experience with AliExpress....my heated seat switches packed in Few years back....Best price here almost £50!!.....Bought from AliExpress for £16.....guess what?.....EXACT same numbers as original Ford & identical....Still working perfectly....On one rare occasion I received the wrong item & contacted seller with offer to return...He/She insisted I keep the item as it was their fault....I had the correct item in under 10 days.....After the treatment I have had here in our own country via ebay from sellers sending either wrong or very cheap knock offs, I can safely say That AliExpress really stands out for politeness, helpfulness, Tracking & sorting problems....Regarding another post....Word of Warning.... I always loved my fishing & a few Christmas back ordered a normal (obviously fake at price) Browning folding knife for a good friend who had become my carer helping me "back into field"...Although this was a normal knife available locally....Customs Decided different....informing me they had destroyed it along with a stern warning....I emailed copy of letter to seller who had argument with customs (To No Avail) but refunded me the price....A kinder customs official explained on phone that due to the growing problems in GB they were simply destroying all....I had explained how mortified I was to get such a stern warning....Post refund the seller said He was sending me another by way of apology... I hastily emailed insisting PLEASE DO NOT SHIP....Soooo.....Tread carefully on knife front....Bought loads bits for moondog & all good (touch wood).......
Bearing in mind it's still OK to buy knives in the UK via post it's idiotic to destroy any knife coming into the UK that's legal to own.

Some of my knives are illegal to have anywhere in a public place, but they still arrive safely by courier or post.

Reactions: HC56

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Hi
Peter
Bearing in mind it's still OK to buy knives in the UK via post it's idiotic to destroy any knife coming into the UK that's legal to own.

Some of my knives are illegal to have anywhere in a public place, but they still arrive safely by courier or post.
Agreed Ray Buddy....I Been collecting from a kid.... I actually have my prided usmc blade in cabinet with more recent GB Ones.....& some I Keep that belonged to Brothers now gone......It Really is crazy, & I personally just see it as a political exercise...But such a waste Bud.....They are up to service spec so at least donating could be an option....Dunno.....It's a crazy fu*d up world.....Best Regards

·
13,104 Posts
HC56

I've encountered a knife issue now!

I wanted a high quality 'snap off' blade knife for some projects I have in mind. But I'm left handed and couldn't find a single one that wasn't 'right handed only'. There were some cheap ones that had symmetrical handles but they wouldn't have been up to the job.

In the end I bought an Irwin knife, snapped off the handle and have spent the day making a replacement handle suitable for left handed use. What a bloody hassle!

This is what I bought. As with many similar knives the handle is asymmetrical both in the vertical and horizontal axis, so only fits properly in a right hand.

Sports equipment Musical instrument accessory Wood String instrument accessory Electric blue

Wood Electric blue Fashion accessory Office supplies Auto part

When it's finished I might pop a pic in the tools forum.

I just wish I didn't have to waste time making it in the first place.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
HC56

I've encountered a knife issue now!

I wanted a high quality 'snap off' blade knife for some projects I have in mind. But I'm left handed and couldn't find a single one that wasn't 'right handed only'. There were some cheap ones that had symmetrical handles but they wouldn't have been up to the job.

In the end I bought an Irwin knife, snapped off the handle and have spent the day making a replacement handle suitable for left handed use. What a bloody hassle!

This is what I bought. As with many similar knives the handle is asymmetrical both in the vertical and horizontal axis, so only fits properly in a right hand.

attachicon.gif
8945A089-C04E-4427-84B1-8E7F213BF0D4.jpeg

attachicon.gif
43CA8B44-DAAA-4EE4-BADD-27AB861F0975.jpeg

When it's finished I might pop a pic in the tools forum.
I just wish I didn't have to waste time making it in the first place.
Perhaps time wasted Bud....But Your An Inspiration For Making Things & Attention To Detail....We got off on unsteady foot due to my misunderstanding years back....Would Really Love To Be Closer As It Turned Out We Have Soooo Much In Common.... I love your posts & You Deserve Praise For Your Determination & Works Whilst enduring pain....We originally grew up on small farm & Dad used to say "Necessity is The Mother Of Invention"....You epitomise that Bud....Right That's enough Smoke blew up your ar*e lol.....Go and make a back up....Wishing You All Good Things Man.....

·
13,104 Posts
HC56

Bloody hell, that's put the pressure on lol. :)

Luckily the replacement handle looks OK so far. It's the right size and shape, has been dyed with Indian Rosewood colour dye as thats roughly the colour of most Irwin woodworking tools. It's had two coats of satin yatch varnish, and I just need them to fully harden before I can glue the blade holder to the handle.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
HC56

Luckily the replacement handle looks OK so far. It's the right size and shape, has been dyed with Indian Rosewood colour dye as thats roughly the colour of most Irwin woodworking tools. It's had two coats of satin yatch varnish, and I just need them to fully harden before I can glue the blade holder to the handle.
Yer a genius!!!....Thanks for the Mail....great to hear from you again....Hope there was something in reply of any use?....Fondest Regards

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
HC56

Yer a genius!!!....Thanks for the Mail....great to hear from you again....Hope there was something in reply of any use?....Fondest Regards

Hi Ray....tried sending you a PM But app said you couldn't accept any more messages....little clip for closing both vents together has dropped inside so it looks like a replacement job....would you have any tips Bud on removal...Please?....Hope All okay Your End?....Best Regards

·
13,104 Posts
No, sorry, no tips for retrieving the clip.

All good my end, just busy making things and doing DIY.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
No, sorry, no tips for retrieving the clip.

All good my end, just busy making things and doing DIY.
No worries Bud....I will replace eventually.... I assume it's just a small flathead & patience?....BTW....Your inbox must be full or it could be my old phone just too outdated but could not pm you...." This inbox can not receive any more messages".....Hope All Goes Well & Glad to hear all well....I got 2nd jab last Tuesday....Today is first day that dizziness has stopped....Knocked my pan in!!!....Fondest Regards & Love To All......

·
Mosquito
290 Posts
HC 56

I have read these posts with interest.
I haven't used Aliexpress yet, but if Raynkar has, I will.

I understand the fondness you have for Raynkar as I have it too. He has helped me an untold amount of times and for me it seems, always goes the extra mile.

I am in awe of his skills, knowledge, commitment, his car and of the man.

I have the utmost respect for him.
Jack.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts