- All-new Ford Galaxy people mover delivers luxurious travel for seven with sophisticated technologies and materials delivering first-class refinement
- Comfort improved with integral link rear suspension, Ford Adaptive Steering and Multi-Contour Seats; acoustic glass and optimised headliner help reduce noise levels
- All-new Galaxy easier than ever to optimise for seating or luggage space with segment-first ability to raise, as well as fold, third-row seats at the push of a button
- Galaxy could help drivers avoid exceeding speed limits, and incurring costly penalties with new Intelligent Speed Limiter; Glare-Free Highbeam optimises visibility for night driving
- New 210 PS Bi-turbo TDCi reduces high-power diesel CO2 emissions by 24 per cent. Intelligent All-Wheel Drive offered on Ford Galaxy for the first time
- Galaxy offers sophisticated exterior with slim-line headlamps, raised beltline and large glass area; stylish interior features retractable panoramic glass roof
Galaxy delivers greater refinement with available technologies including:
- Integral link rear suspension, which offers smoother, quieter journeys with improved impact absorption
- Ford Adaptive Steering, which delivers greater steering precision at higher speeds for more unobtrusive lane changes and better manoeuvrability at lower speeds
- Ford Multi-Contour Seats, which reduce muscle fatigue for front seat passengers particularly over longer journeys
Interior noise levels are further reduced with an enhanced body structure and acoustic glass. Ford also has developed the Galaxy's headliner - the fabric that covers the inside of the roof - as a noise-absorbing element for greater interior refinement.
"Galaxy has always been a car designed around the needs of seven, and our all-new Galaxy takes this philosophy to even greater heights with every occupant benefiting from outstanding levels of comfort and refinement," said Andrew Kernahan, chief programme engineer for Ford Galaxy.
The all-new Ford Galaxy enhances flexibility with a segment-first feature that raises third-row seats at the push of a button and supports drivers in town and on the highway with advanced technologies including Intelligent Speed Limiter, Pre-Collision Assist with Pedestrian Detection, and Front Split View Camera.
Sophisticated engine technology including Ford's new 210 PS Bi-turbo 2.0-litre TDCi diesel reduces CO2 emissions up to 24 per cent. Ford Intelligent All-Wheel Drive (AWD) is offered for first time on the Ford Galaxy, delivering enhanced traction and road-holding with a seamless transition between front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive performance.
"Families across Europe have grown up with the Galaxy. Customers are reassured by its ability to carry seven in first-class comfort and safety, and to constantly surprise with its unmatched versatility," said Roelant de Waard, vice president, Marketing, Sales & Service, Ford of Europe. "The all-new Galaxy enhances those qualities with improved dynamics, fuel efficiency and refinement - as well as useful innovations."
Advanced technology and materials for greater comfort
Ford's integral link rear suspension configuration delivers the compliance required for greater comfort, while retaining lateral stiffness for enhanced steering and handling. The system allows the wheel to move further rearwards on impact with bumps. This delivers improved impact absorption for a smoother ride and reduced noise levels. Galaxy also is offered with self-levelling rear suspension that maintains optimal ride height for comfort and handling.
Ford Adaptive Steering continually changes the ratio between the steering and road wheels according to vehicle speed to enable Galaxy to react more smoothly and precisely to driver input at higher speeds. At lower speeds, such as when pulling into a parking space or manoeuvring in tight quarters, the new system makes the vehicle more agile and easier to turn.
Ford Multi-Contour Seats with Active Motion massage function were developed with the help of medical doctors and use a system of 11 inflatable cushions to deliver an unobtrusive massaging effect for thighs, bottom and lower back. The seat-base bolsters deflate when doors are opened for easier exit, and a driver's seat memory function is offered. The 8-way electronically adjustable seats also incorporate heating and cooling and front-seat headrests can be adjusted up, down, forward and back. Galaxy also offers for the first time a power-adjustment function for steering column reach and rake, and a heated steering wheel.
Finding the perfect temperature can now be achieved more quickly with enhanced heating ventilation and air conditioning. The system provides more airflow, is capable of lower temperatures, and is quieter. Rear seat passengers can select their own climate settings and interior is also kept cool in sunny weather with solar-tinted glass that blocks ultra‑violet light and heat from the cabin.
Interior refinement also is enhanced with additional sound-deadening material within the underbody shields, wheel arch liners and front and rear doors, and more extensive use of closed-section body structure components. Acoustic glass for the windshield and side windows helps reduce wind noise and environmental noise. The woven structure of the Galaxy headliner allows sound waves to pass into the sound-deadening foam beneath, traditionally used primarily to prevent exterior noise reaching the cabin through the roof.
"The headliner covers a large area so is a highly effective acoustic tool for the tricky task of reducing noise levels inside a vehicle," said Dr. Karl-Heinz Buerger, manager, Noise, Vibration & Harshness, Ford of Europe. "The technique is particularly good at capturing high-frequency road noise and wind noise generated above the window line that would otherwise travel close to the occupants' ears."
Flexible for family life
All-new Galaxy makes it easier than ever to maximise space for passengers and luggage. A control panel in the rear luggage compartment enables all five second- and third-row seats to be folded flat at the push of a button for a maximum 2339 litres of load space. As a segment-first, the panel also can be used to automatically raise the third row seats.
A flat load floor makes it easier to load large or bulky items, and the ability to slide and recline second- and third-row seats individually means seating and loadspace combinations are as easy to tailor to the school run as for trips to the airport. Beneath the boot floor the new Cargo Management System offers 20 litres of hidden storage, and helps to carry taller items.
Passengers can store 1.5-litre drink bottles in door bins, and under-seat storage provides easy access for everything from laptop computers to books or snacks. Further stowage is available in the instrument panel top, and a media storage area for mobile phones and audio devices is incorporated into the centre stack. Parents will appreciate a standard child-watch mirror, positioned to offer a wide-angle view of the passenger seats.
Interior space is maximised with thin seat technology and seat contouring. Second- and third-row passengers also benefit from up to 10 mm more headroom than in the outgoing Galaxy and the third-row seat offers more space than key competitors, with up to 40 mm more headroom. Elbow and shoulder-room are optimised by retaining the traditional swing-open rear door design. Third-row occupants also can make themselves feel more at home with their own armrest storage bins and cup-holders.
One touch access to the third row is provided with easy-entry second-row seats that tilt and slide forward in a single action, and a recessed floor design that makes getting in and out of the car easier for passengers. A double seal helps the inner panel stay clean and reduces the risk of passengers dirtying their clothes by brushing against the car exterior when getting in or out.
Smart technology supports and simplifies
The all-new Galaxy also supports drivers in town and on the highway with advanced technologies including:
- Intelligent Speed Limiter, which when activated scans traffic signs and adjusts the throttle to help drivers stay within legal speed limits and avoid fines
- Pre-Collision Assist with Pedestrian Detection, which will reduce the severity of some frontal collisions involving vehicles and pedestrians, or help drivers avoid some impacts altogether
- Glare-Free Highbeam technology for the adaptive LED headlamps, which detects vehicles ahead and fades out light that could dazzle oncoming drivers, while retaining maximum illumination for other areas
- Front Split View Camera, which enhances the driver's field of vision when pulling out of a parking space or junction with a 180 degree camera system installed at the front of the Galaxydisplays the image on the 8-inch high-resolution touchscreen in the centre console
- Perpendicular Parking can detect and reverse the car hands-free into spaces alongside other cars in the same way that Active Park Assist helps drivers to parallel park
- Park-Out Assist helps drivers exit a parallel parking space, the system operating the steering while the driver operates the accelerator and brake
- Side Parking Aid delivers audible alerts and on-screen distance indicators to obstacles around the vehicle
- Cross Traffic Alert warns drivers reversing out of a parking space of vehicles that may soon be crossing behind them
Ford SYNC 2 with Voice Control enables drivers to operate phone, entertainment, climate and navigation systems using simple conversational language. A useful tool for family road trips or holidays, drivers can even bring up a list of local restaurants by saying: "I'm hungry" or search for attractions and points of interest by name. SYNC 2 also features Emergency Assistance, which directly connects the vehicle occupants to local emergency services operators after an accident, in the correct language for the region.
Galaxy will for the first time enable parents to easily open the boot door even if they are juggling shopping bags, pushchairs, and toddlers. Hands-Free Liftgate can be opened or closed using a kicking motion beneath the rear bumper. Further convenience is delivered with standard power heated door mirrors for frosty mornings and electric parking brake with Hill Launch Assist.
The all-new Galaxy enhances signature car-like driving qualities by combining Ford's advanced global CD-segment platform with sophisticated technologies. The integral link rear suspension design features aluminium lower control arms that reduce weight by 2 kilogrammes. Aluminium front knuckles with enclosed wheel bearings improve stiffness for sharper responses.
Dampers and springs are tuned specifically for Galaxy, and the model continues to offer Continuous Control Damping that helps tailor suspension with "comfort," "normal" and "sport" chassis settings. Electronic Power Assisted Steering also for the first time allows steering weight to adapt to match these settings, and also enables Torque Steer Compensation and Active Nibble Compensation systems that cancel out unwanted feedback, forces and vibration.
Powerful, fuel-efficient new engines will further enhance driving appeal in town and on the highway. The all-new Galaxy will be available with Ford's new 210 PS 2.0-litre TDCi Bi-turbo diesel engine that offers enhanced responsiveness and 450 Nm of torque from 2,000 rpm. The engine delivers 5.5 l/100 km fuel efficiency, 144 g/km CO2 emissions* - a 24 per cent CO2 improvement over the outgoing 200 PS 2.2-litre TDCi automatic combination - alongside 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) acceleration in 8.9 seconds.
"The new high-powered TDCi diesel engine follows the downsizing trend we've led with our EcoBoost petrol technology. Smaller engines deliver better fuel efficiency and emissions, and we claim the power back with advanced technology," said Andrew Brumley, chief engineer, Ford Engine Programs. "Sequential Bi-turbo technology delivers the seamless performance consumers want every day in all conditions, and makes turbo-lag a distant memory."
Ford's enhanced 2.0-litre TDCi diesel engine with single variable geometry turbocharger technology delivers 5.0 l/100 km fuel efficiency and 129 g/km CO2 in 120 PS, 150 PS and 180 PS form - a 7 per cent CO2 improvement over the outgoing 115 PS 1.6-litre TDCi engine, and 140 PS and 163 PS 2.0-litre TDCi engines. The enhanced 2.0-litre TDCi features a revised engine block, new cylinder-head and fuel injection designs, and lean NOX trap exhaust after-treatment system for cleaner emissions.
The all-new Galaxy offers Intelligent AWD with the 150 PS 2.0-litre TDCi diesel engine and six-speed manual transmission, and with the 180 PS 2.0-litre TDCi engine and six-speed PowerShift automatic transmission. By only delivering torque where and when it is needed, Intelligent AWD has minimal impact on fuel-efficiency and CO2 emissions compared with permanent four-wheel drive systems.
Measuring how the car's wheels are gripping the road surface every 16 milliseconds - twenty times quicker than it takes to blink - the system can send up to 100 per cent of engine torque to the front or rear wheels, and make required adjustments in just 100 milliseconds.
Petrol engine options include Ford's new fuel-efficient 160 PS 1.5-litre EcoBoost delivering 6.5 l/100 km and 149 g/km CO2 - an 11 per cent CO2 improvement over the outgoing 160 PS 1.6-litre EcoBoost. A 240 PS 2.0-litre EcoBoost also is available. The entire Galaxy engine range meets Euro Stage VI emissions using:
- Smart Regenerative Charging, which selectively engages the alternator and charges the battery when the vehicle is coasting and braking to recapture energy that would otherwise be lost - reducing engine load for less fuel usage
- Auto-Start-Stop, which automatically shuts down the engine when the vehicle is at idle and restarts the engine when the driver wants to move off
- Active Grille Shutter, which improves aerodynamics and optimises airflow for engine cooling
The all-new Galaxy is designed to help drivers protect their most precious cargo, for the first time offering second-row seat side airbags, in addition to the driver and front-passenger, driver-knee, and first-, second- and third-row curtain airbags. Second-row seatbelt pre-tensioners with load limiters enhance rear passenger safety. There are seatbelt minders for all three rows.
MyKey technology will enable owners to programme a key that can inhibit incoming phone calls; restrict top speed; prevent deactivation of driver assistance and safety features; reduce audio system maximum volume, and disable the audio system altogether if occupants are not using safety belts.
Vehicle stability also is enhanced with Curve Control and Roll Stability Control systems that adjust engine torque and braking to help drivers maintain control. Pedestrian safety is further enhanced with concealed wipers designed to limit injuries from head impacts.
The all-new Galaxy offers a contemporary and sophisticated appearance. At the front a raised trapezoidal grille is positioned above a distinctive full-width lower grille. The slim-line headlamps flow into the raised beltline that is designed to present a strong, mature and elegant character.
A modern, highly technical effect is delivered at the rear by merging the window glass with the taillamps to deliver the impression of a larger glass area. The thin window pillars also have been designed to optimise both visibility from within the vehicle and to enhance the visual impact of the glass area - giving the Galaxy greater presence to reinforce its seven-seater status.
The all-new Galaxy features a mature and sophisticated interior design, including a sculpted centre console that flows from the upper instrument panel and a wrap-around dashboard that flows into the front doors. Detailing and finishing options include aluminium, charcoal metallic, and high-gloss or silk black. The open and airy interior benefits from a large glass area and optional full-length retractable panoramic glass roof.
The traditional instrument cluster makes way for an optional driver-facing 10-inch digital screen with animated analogue-style speedometer and rev-counter. Users also can customise the display settings and 3D graphics on the digital screen for a personalised and interactive experience, and auto-dimming adjusts display brightness to match ambient light.
"Raised positioning for the centre console and instrument panel delivers a car-like environment that reflects the Galaxy's driving character and refinement," said Claudio Messale, chief designer, Ford of Europe. "These qualities are delivered alongside the enhanced visibility and confidence offered by a larger people mover - to deliver the best of both without compromise."
* The declared fuel consumption and CO2 emissions are measured according to the technical requirements and specifications of the European Regulations (EC) 715/2007 and (EC) 692/2008 as last amended. Fuel consumption and CO2 emissions are specified for a vehicle variant and not for a single car. The applied standard test procedure enables comparison between different vehicle types and different manufacturers. In addition to the fuel efficiency of a car, driving behaviour as well as other non-technical factors play a role in determining a car's fuel consumption and CO2 emissions. CO2 is the main greenhouse gas responsible for global warming. Results in MPG also correspond to this European drive cycle and are stated in imperial gallons. The results may differ from fuel economy figures in other regions of the world due to the different drive cycles and regulations used in those markets.