Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ey up

Quick question regarding the alternator pulley mod.. My friend said that the nut on the alternator would be left hand thread but the new pully i bought appears to be right hand thread ...

Im really confused now, does the original nut on the alternator pulley loosen counter clockwise or is it reverse?

Cheers for any info.

·
Mondeo Lover
871 Posts
I've done this mod but for the life of me I cannot remember exactly but I'm sure I didnt have to do anything special, I just put an impact gun on it took it off, the pulley that was on the alternator didnt come off easy once the nut was off though, I had to wedge it up all around with screw drivers and it ended up deforming the pulley, but since I was replacing it I wasnt really bothered.

Putting the mod pulley on I had to use a splined tool that I got a loan of from a friend, I then put an allen key down the middle of it and done it up with a spanner, I think if I remember right I had to jam a screwdriver in so that the whole thing wouldnt turn but it went on easy enough.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, thank you.. Looks like I'll be having fun getting that pulley off mi self then xD. In that video the shaft loosens to the left where as I'm hoping mine loosens to the right :O.. Otherwise that new pulley is the wrong one... I think

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Little Megger
4,709 Posts
Did it.. was a right pain. Had to get a local garage to buzz me the nut off and then I had to hacksaw the collar off alternator.. was worth it tho, the annoying rattle has gone :D ..
So, can you clarify... Was it lefty-loosey , and righty-tighty like the one in the youtube vid in post #5?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Did it.. was a right pain. Had to get a local garage to buzz me the nut off and then I had to hacksaw the collar off alternator.. was worth it tho, the annoying rattle has gone :D ..
So, can you clarify... Was it lefty-loosey , and righty-tighty like the one in the youtube vid in post #5?
Absolutely, the nut loosens counterclockwise but be aware, that nut is so tight (was on mine at least) Even the impact wrench struggled to get it off.

The pulley comes with 2 spacers, but I didn't use either of them, no need to. My alternator had a collar around the base of the shaft, If you don't have a power tool, then a simple hacksaw and file will do the job.

Definitely a job for an impact wrench though, I ended up rounding the top of the shaft off (the allen bit) Had to stick a socket in the alternator and wedge it between the case and the fan (It held together) to tighten the new pulley up.

To get the alternator out from the wheel arch you have to undo the tie rod and drop link and move them both out of the way.

The job is relatively easy provided you either have a decent impact wrench or know a local garage that will help get that nut off, and it is definitely worth it if you have exhausted all other efforts to stop the annoying drumming sound.

For me all I hear now is the sweet clatter of that wonderful 2l TDCI engine :).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.