Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever had a problem with the battery light coming on after 5500 rpm getting brighter and more constant towards 6000rpm.

If so was the fault the battery, alternator, slipping fan belt etc. Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Darren

·
ST200 baby
7,993 Posts
well check the AUX belt , and see how much tension is on the AUX to make sure it dont slip , to me it sounds like the alt from what i have heard from other people with a prob like yours.

does it do it when you rev it free on idle , if so put a multimeter across the battrey and rev up to 5k and see if you get a drop , do you get any belt sliping noise etc...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, no belt slipping noise, mechanic says car has an automatic tensioner, at high rpm voltage drops to 12v from 14.4.

Regards

Darren

·
ST200 baby
7,993 Posts
well thats wrong as it should sit at aprox 11-12v then go up to 14-17 volt on high rpm , i would say its the Alt mate , get it changed if i was you :L

only downside is they cost a bomb to get one and get some one to fit it , unless you fit it your self it is not to bad on the ££ then but its a pain in the ass to fit :(

·
Spider Pig, Spider Pig
1,964 Posts
I had it on my st24 when i got it about 8months back and trust me its a faulty alternator just fit a new one and it will stop.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers m8 when you have your new alternator fitted did u take it to 6250 rpm since and did the fault clear itself up?

·
ST200 baby
7,993 Posts
it would do , i think its the sealed metal ring in side ( forgot prober name ) if that is worn when it gets to a certain speed it cant hold it at that rpm :L

rembered the name , slip rings :L

if it was the reg or brush's it would do it lower down the rev range but not all ways :L

·
Spider Pig, Spider Pig
1,964 Posts
My light came on at 5500ish but drove it for about 3months like that, then found a ebay shop which sold then cost £72 inc p/p then got one of my customers to fit it,

As soon as they where finished took it all the way to the redline and all was fine.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Just changed mine. Took about 3 hours all in for the job. 30mins was to suss the best route to get the best access to the bolts.

Awkward but satisfying.

Problem was red light on at 4750. No red light now.

Odd thing, same thing happened on my 200 hatch, but it had a misfire as well at high revs, This alt failure did not lead to a misfire. The misfire will have been due to low voltage so maybe this time th efailure was different

·
Turbo'd ST24
10,084 Posts
yes its the alternator and yes its expensive to buy and yes its a pain in the ass to fit but i did it myself and felt better for it, cost 30 pounds from my local breakers off another mondeo v6 its 130 amps which is why its expensive not many of them about, well now i take it at high revs and doesnt do it now, but it is the alternator, if u have a pit its better like i had, and also a partner who held the light for me as it was dark down there bless her :eyesup: :L

·
ST200 baby
7,993 Posts
brill job , you have a pit , you luckey sod , glad you have it all fixed now , keep the old alt and check to see what has gone , if it is only brush's then get new ones and sell it on e-bay for a bit of £ :L

·
Turbo'd ST24
10,084 Posts
yeah i had to do this last sept i think, i was coming back home and i was flooring it not that i do it on a regular basis :whistling: :innocent: but anyways i looked at my speed and saw the battery light getting brighter and brighter and as i slowed down to take the roundabout it just died on me on the roundabout, everyone just went passed us, didnt even offer help, i got out told my partner to steer while i pushed it and u dont know how heavy this car is until u have to push it LOL but anyways brought another battery thinking that was the problem, man said it was dead out and got home battery was flat again even after 3 yr warrenty got pissed off knew it was the alt, got it and did it that same night, most of its just preping as ive never done this again, but as for selling it, im keeping mine, they cost alot to fish for one again if mine goes off again which i hope it doesnt but if it does im ready :L

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi thx for the advice how difficult is an alternator to fit on the Mondeo ST24 and what tools do you need. Can you let me know the procedure.

Regards

Darren

·
Spider Pig, Spider Pig
1,964 Posts
I sympathise with other Meggers who have done this themselves as it was the most fiddly job I have ever done on any vehicle.

The bottom bolt was easy but the top bolt required a combination of extra long "wobble bar" extensions and universals joints before I could crack it. BTW for future reference the bolts are 13mm.

The hardest part of the whole job was trying to get to the 10mm bolt on the rear bracket of the alternator as the rear down pipe and driveshaft intermediate bearing is in the way. I finally managed to undo this one using a long reach ratchet spanner.

I noticed when I took the brushes off that one was almost unworn but the other was completely worn and the copper ring had a deep groove in it! I fitted an exchange alternator from Ford (£167.00 after discount) and a new aux belt to be on the safe side. The car is now running better than ever (maybe due to the ECU being reset by having to disconnect the battery?)and as a bonus the squeaking noise at idle has disappeared.

Tips

Firstly, get a garage do it! However if you really want to do it yourself then...

If you have access to a slim air ratchet then the top bolt can be cracked open using just a straight extension placed horizontally over the exhaust manifold and o2 sensor, there is then just enough room to get the ratchet in at the gearbox end of the engine.

No air ratchet! then a straight extension placed as above with a UJ on the end and another longer extension which is angled down below subframe will work. It did for me!

When refitting the alternator get the top bolt in first! I fitted the bottom bolt in first and then spent an hour trying to get the top bolt in.

The lower alternator mounting is an extremely tight fit. To get the holes to line up, insert the bolt from the outside ie into the outer part of the mounting bracket and tighten it up. As the end of the bolt is tapered it will line up the holes in the alternator and the mounting bracket.

You will need some sort of crow bar / pry bar to get the alternator off and on its mounting bracket as it is a very tight fit.

Place a towel or something on the driveshaft and steering rubber gaitors to prevent damage as you remove the alternator.

Submitted by IMMST24?

If there is not much room around the gearbox extend the extension bars right throught to the pass wheel where you will have alot more room to crack the nuts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi, Thx for the tips now how do you get the belt off in order to remove the alternator. Can anyone tell me. Also as I just picked up an alternator of an X-Reg ST24 for 5.00 on ebay I may pay a grease monkey to fit it. Before I do is there anyway to check that this alternator will work before I install it.

Regards

Darren

·
Turbo'd ST24
10,084 Posts
i heard that it has to be spun up really fast to check to see if they work, if u brought it off ebay and they said it will work then it should work, the belt i found was also a bit tricky, u need to slip a rachet between the inside arch and the tensioner pulley, mine was just a bit wide so what i did was get a crow bar and pushed on it just enough to pass the rachet in the square bit to tension it and then go under the wheel arch and apply pressure to it and the belt will come loose enough for you to just slip the belt off the bottom pulley and thats it, u dont have to take off all the belt but if your going to replace it because the belt is worn i would do it which i did as mine looked oldish and the new one wasnt that much dearer anyways, hope u get it sorted out :L

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi, my battery light came on my st24 so i replaced the battery, but the light was still on so i replaced the alternator which fixed the prob.but now when it revs high the battery light flickers on. any ideas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi, my battery light came on my st24 so i replaced the battery, but the light was still on so i replaced the alternator which fixed the prob.but now when it revs high the battery light flickers on. any ideas?

·
Turbo'd ST24
10,084 Posts
yep like ryan said who put it on?? Was it you or a mechanic place?? Well if it was you did u put the main connector on right, if u didnt then it can cause u problems with the light flickering because it will not be charging the battery so the battery light will flicker telling u that your car is running on the battery only which your car will eat up in less than a minute, check the wires to see if both are connected theres the big main one and then the small little one other than the earth which u might have to check as well, if a mechanic place did it id take it back to them, was the alternator second hand?? or brand new?? hope u sort it out :L

1 - 20 of 21 Posts