Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Little Megger
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new to diesels and have a question.

If i'm in a crawling queue, I can bring the clutch up and the car will creep along in first gear at about 4 mph with no pedals pressed.

Am I labouring the engine doing this? My old petrol astra would have kangaroo'd down the road doing that.

Also, during normal driving, what should be the minimum revs before changing down?

Thanks

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
mine does that about 6mph in first 10mph insecond and 30 in 3rd i believe its the anti stall feature

·
Big Megger
451 Posts
Id say not really, its not struggling doing this (well mine doesnt) and, to be honest if I didnt, id be bouncing along the road, and my legs would ache. But seriously, if you think of things like tractors and forklifts etc, you generally do all the slow moving in first or whatever with no revs on, cant see it doing any damage.

·
MEG Corporal
1,048 Posts
really, if the engine sounds fine then it's fine in my opinion

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
it appears more apparent on the mk3's though didnt really notice it on my mk2

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
You can let the engine crawl on its own. I do it in traffic. On my old volvo s40 you couls get it through all 5 gears this way if you wanted to. It was really really easy to change gears and the clutch was beautiful on it. Your not doing any harm to the engine.

I would say that reving it to 1500rpm to move 3 inches does more harm than crawling it.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
ScoobyChris said:
Have a drive of the new VAG TFSI engines - you might be surprised how much low down torque they have ;)

Chris
we aint got a vw or audi dealer anywhere near

·
Big Megger
203 Posts
Wouldn't be surprised at all as it's the "T" in TFSI which gives the torque, a turbo petrol will usually give plenty of torque. My old T5 certainly could never be accused of not having enough low end twist to go with the top end power!

They're great engines but to be fair they don't give 40 mpg+ in normal mixed driving ;)

Cheers,
J

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
John_C said:
They're great engines but to be fair they don't give 40 mpg+ in normal mixed driving ;)
Very true, but they are a heck of a lot quicker than these economical diesels ;) Interestingly, the magazines are saying that the economy difference between the 2.0 TFSI and the 2.0 170bhp TDI engines is negligible! :crazy:

Chris

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
some people bought a diesel for the ecconomy though :nana:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Its gotta be better to trickle along at tick over with the clutch up than stop, start all the time, sliding the clutch.

I do it all the time, amaizing how many people following me dont though, also from a purely lazy point of view saves me keep working the clutch!!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.