Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Soldier of Fortune
Joined
·
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking back to my school days last night and remembered an amusing story from my A-Level physics lesson and wondered if there were any more amusing science stories out there?

Mine goes as such (stick with me)

As mentioned it was A-level physics and we were doing something with electromagnetic forces. Basically if you put an electric current through a tightly coiled wire it produces a magnetic force or something. It's how electric motors work. Anyway, we each had a tightly packed coil of wire wound in a metal casing, with a hole through the middle. We then placed this ring of wire over a metal pole and put power to the wire. The effect of the current going through the wire caused it to "hover" up and down the pole depending how much power was applied. It was great!
The teacher told us under no circumstances were we to go past X volts on the power as the wire would just drop off the top of the pole. However, the guy next to me had other ideas.... as soon as he switched on he whacked his power supply up to full welly. This was about five times the recommended X limit. The effects of this? Well, the metal casing of wire launched itself at enormous speeds up the pole and very quickly reached the top. Reaching the end of the pole didn't phase the coil one bit however, and rather than falling off, it simply carried on up through thin air. Indeed the force was so great that it didn't even flinch at a solid object, so it happily continued straight through the classroom ceiling. One bang, a shower of dust and a huge hole in the roof later resulted in a ticking off and one never to be seen again wire coil, but me? Laugh? I nearly died...

Any more amusing science lesson stuff?
 

·
MEG Admiral
Joined
·
2,642 Posts
we were doing a lesson about explosives and the forces of explosions etc { not a practical one i might add } our old teacher was really cool, before becoming a teacher he was a bomb disposal technician in the army, anyway the next lesson later in the week a fellow classmate wanders in and put this object on the teachers desk for him to look at, turns out to be an old german stick grenade from the war, well i have never seen a face go so pale in all my life, and 30+ kids leg it from a classroom so fast, bomb squad, fire brigade and police were called, people within 100 metres were evacuated { lucky we were on the corner of the building overlooking the sports field } turned out to be a live grenade, this lads dad had in his garage for about 30 years. story was, it was bought back by his grandad during the war as a souvenir and it was forgotten about, and no i wasnt that lad
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
716 Posts
Not school, but when I was in 1st year at University, I was taking part in a large microbiology practical class. I was at the bench nearest the back of the lab. Against the wall behind me was the coat hangers for people coats. So that I could keep an eye on it, I had hung my brand new leather jacket just behind where I was working.

The University had recently changed the type of gas used for bunson burners, which had lead to the rubber tubes being replaced by much stiffer plastic type tubing. The technician who had set the lab up had not pushed the end of the tube for my burner on to the gas tap quite tightly enough. This caused gas to leakk out at the tap, and as it is heavier than air it pooled on the bench. About 20 minutes into the class the pooled gas reached the flame on the bunson burner igniting explosively. Thie produced a fireball which engulfed me and travelled on to hit the coats hung along the back wall.

You guessed it, I had all my hair, eyebroughs etc burned off but also my brand new jacket was set on fire.

Wasn't the best expereince for me at the time but I think it is kind of funny now (as I was not badly burned).
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top