Ford Automobiles Forum banner

Annoying rattle from rear

7K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  AndyBos 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi folks, I've had my 2015 Mk5 estate for 10 months and in the last week it's developed a rattle from the OS rear.

It's fairly constant I've had a look for loose things in the boot cabin space, checked the boot lock, removed and re-afixed the number plate and checked for anything obvious on the exterior / rear wheel / undercarriage and drawn a blank.

before I book it into a garage has anyone had similar or know what this could be, or have any advice of other things to check.

thanks in advance

Mods, sorry I've posted in the wrong forum please delete

#3 ·
Was this a constant rattle even on smooth roads, or only on larger bumps? I have a constant rattle that is getting worse and my first thought was the ARB drop link. I've had the wheel off and can't see any movement.

Do you know what the Torque should be for the strut top?

#4 ·
Ok - so it was the same issue. 15mm off-centre spanner on the nut (with molefrips to hold the strut from turning) sorted it. Didn’t even need to jack the car up. It had been driving me crazy!

#6 ·
I’ve got this same annoying rattling noise on off side rear (left side from front) on mk5 estate. Checked all suspension and it is not loose. Removed interior and exterior trims round wheel arch and can’t find anything so far. Been into garage twice and they can’t find any issue. Any other ideas as it is driving me mad.

#7 ·
I've not got the estate, but if you look over the top of the back wheel you should see a nut at the top of the damper...it might have a plastic or rubber cover on it. It didn't feel or look loose, but I tightened it by about a 1/4 turn and that sorted the issue.

#8 ·
I had exactly the same persistent rattle on my 2016 reg Mondeo. I emptied the boot, spare wheel and jack. Still it rattled. I even sat in the back seat with the boot open and couldn't find the original of the annoying rattle. Then I saw your message. I checked the top strut nut behind the rear o/s wheel. It was caked in flaky mud, which I brushed away. The rubber cap came off with the help of a pair of large pliers and it revealed the nut. I tightened the nut half a turn and replaced the cap. Immediately, the rattle was gone! I couldn't believe it! Thank you for your advice. I can now drive in peace and with great relief!