Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys :)

After questioning the power output of the mighty V6, my fears of a dodgy IMRC were realised the other week whilst trying to overtake a Megane 1.6 on the A5 - it didn't happen which was quite disheartening to say the least.

This afternoon, I had a poke around, and whipped the covers off to check the circuit board. This is what I found:

I've been looking to the left of the circuit board, just below the screw, as it's looking a bit brown. In addition to this, I've had a mate controlling the throttle and nothing's moving, both on WOT or above 3000rpm.

Can anyone advise me as to what's happened? I'm thinking I need to re-solder the wires leading to the motor (due to non-movement). Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Thanks so much in advance :)

Jon

·
Registered
305 Posts
The brown looks like normal flux from soldering at the factory. What you should be looking for are any black rings around each solder joint. This normally indicates a "dry joint" where the is no or intermitant connection between the component and the circuit board.

You could try re-soldering where it is brown and see how you get on but I would ahve a closer look at each solder joint in turn to see if there are any that have gone bad.

Or if none of that works then it could be the motor that has failed. somtimes the brushes can fail or you can get a dry joint in the motor itself. If this is the case then you can strip down the motor (not always possible) or unfortunately its time to buy a new IMRC unit all together.

Hope you sort it.

Tony

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies guys :)

I'll have a go at re-soldering on Xmas morning while the missus is at work and see how things go.

Will keep people updated, and thanks again!

Jon

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, I whipped the cover off, and had a poke around. It seems as though the previous owner had done the same and put something back incorrectly, as when I took the motor out with the engine running, it span up on hitting the gas!

I've put it all back together now and all I can say is it's frigging devastating :D

Lovin' it :woot:

Cheers for all the replies,

Jon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.