Ford Automobiles Forum banner

Another Key Problem :(

286 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Dixie68 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all
Im looking for a bit of help and hope you peeps can help me out please ;)

I have a mondeo 99 / T plate 2:0. But ( and hears the problem ) With only one key. Ive read all the topic's I can find and erer well Im confussed ;(

I have one black key ... with a little red square on the top of the key ... I belive this is the PATS system chip on the key

http://www.mirez.co.uk/Keys_Files/Key5.jpg

Now I would like to have the remote locking , unlocking, boot opening key ( I think its this one ? )

http://www.mirez.co.uk/Keys_Files/Key9.jpg

Now my question is that if I got hold of a used / new 3 button fob can I use this guide http://www.fordmondeo.org/workshop/pmwiki.php?n=Electrical.PATSKeyAmpKeylessEntryProgramming to sort out the new / used remote fob

I hope you can understand what Im on about people

Manny thanks for your time in reading

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi, For your car, you need 2 programed keys to program new keys, to start the car, (The PATS). Without 2 keys, Ford, or some locksmiths have to do it. You can program the fob part yourself with one key. A second hand fob is ok, you can program the fob yourself, get a new blade cut, but you wont be able to do the PATS yourself.

#3 ·
I was in Fords today booking my shed in and I noticed an advert in there that said they will replace your fob battery and recode the key for £12.99.
At that price it might be worth getting a key off Ebay, removing the battery, and taking it in saying your battery was dead. Better than paying the usual bags full of cash to get a new key sorted when you haven't got 2.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replys

tanda said:
Hi, For your car, you need 2 programed keys to program new keys, to start the car, (The PATS). Without 2 keys, Ford, or some locksmiths have to do it.
Somewhere ( either hear or some other forum ) I found some info saying that it "might" be possibile to fool the PATS system and reprogram the key in question ?
I belive it was just a case of putting the same key in twice ? Has anyone had any luck this way ?

tanda said:
, or some locksmiths have to do it.
Would you ( or anyone else ) happen to know a locksmith in the Southend / Basildon nech of the wood who can do this ?
Ive asked about but none seem to know what Im going on about when I say about coding the chip / pats

Dixie68 said:
I was in Fords today booking my shed in and I noticed an advert in there that said they will replace your fob battery and recode the key for £12.99.
At that price it might be worth getting a key off Ebay, removing the battery, and taking it in saying your battery was dead. Better than paying the usual bags full of cash to get a new key sorted when you haven't got 2.
Hmmmmm I might give that a go then , Its kind of confussing as I get different answers from one main dealers to the next

Thanks for your idears and replys
Keep up the good work with all the "how to's" Ive allready finished a couple of mods :) Angel Eyes and the Grille Mod

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
£12.99, to change a key fob battery, sounds like a rip off to me (Bearing in mind they are talking about the fob, not the PATS). 99 times out of a 100, if you take the old battery out, and put the new one in, it won't need re-coding, only if its been flat for a while. As for coding a new key, when you only have one (The PATS), you can't do it yourself, and Ford charge £100 plus, or a locksmith.

#6 ·
tanda said:
£12.99, to change a key fob battery, sounds like a rip off to me (Bearing in mind they are talking about the fob, not the PATS). 99 times out of a 100, if you take the old battery out, and put the new one in, it won't need re-coding, only if its been flat for a while. As for coding a new key, when you only have one (The PATS), you can't do it yourself, and Ford charge £100 plus, or a locksmith.
Yes it is a rip-off for changing a battery, but what I'm saying is that if you only have the one key then get another one cheap, take out the battery and get them to fit a new battery and code the key to the car etc for £12.99
Cheaper than getting Ford to supply a new key and do the coding.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
But I think you will find, the £12.99 is to code the fob to remote lock/unlock, which you can do yourself, with one key, or to code a new/second hand key, if you have two coded keys, to start the car(PATS). I can't see them coding a new/second hand key to start the car(PATS) for £12.99, if you only have one key. I stand corrected if I'm wrong, can you phone them and ask if they mean PATS, if you only have one key? Come to think of it, If the fob battery is flat, you won't loose the PATS code in the chip, so it must be to code the fob to lock/unlock.

#8 ·
Yeah I know you're probably right - wishful thinking on my part there I think?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.