Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Flesh and blood and camoflage
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know when you guys talk about silvertop and blacktop engines? Is there a way to tell which is which just by looking at the engine? When I've been looking for parts I've been asked what colour the cam cover is, but I have no idea what that even looks like! Any help?

Reason I ask is because my car was registered May 1998, and date-wise should have a silvertop engine, if I've understood this right, but Ford dealer says it was actually built in 1997. Which makes me wonder if I actually have a blacktop in there. Want to check before I go buying the wrong bits.

·
Flesh and blood and camoflage
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah good I was looking at the right bit then! And yes, it does appear to be a silvertop, it's the bottom pic. Cheers for that!

Edit - actually the dip stick in mine is in a different place. It is a 2ltr tho, is that pic of a 1.8?

·
Turbo Boost Me!
1,018 Posts
[quote name=MissZetec2.0]Ah good I was looking at the right bit then! And yes, it does appear to be a silvertop, it's the bottom pic. Cheers for that!

Edit - actually the dip stick in mine is in a different place. It is a 2ltr tho, is that pic of a 1.8?[/quote]

Earlier Mondeo Silvertops have the dipstick in the middle

·
MEG Corporal
1,387 Posts
Just out of interest, what is the yellow paint going through the "Z" on the black top, mine has it too?

·
Turbo Boost Me!
1,018 Posts
Its usually what a breaker sprays on it, Most breakers do it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.