Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some 18 OEM alloys of eBay before Xmas, long story short..the two rear sportmaxx rt have about 2k miles on them..the front ones are brand new..Sportmaxx rt 225 40 zr 18
One of the quietest tyres I've ever used I was expecting more noise than my previously smaller 205 50 r17 size tyres..
Grippy tyres these Dunlop's are..whereas in the past I've had the front of the Mondog understeer unexpectedly on a wet roundabout or greasy 90% turn these sportmaxx seem to grip really well in the wet... I'm deffo a convert as my usual brand has been contis 2 or 3..they seemed to hold a 2.0 petrol mk3 Mondog on rails, but they were pricey back in 08...then I've had nankangs on a mk2 Mondog..great in the dry but scary when it rained..same said of Landsails which I had before these..also had Firestone's which were excellent on a 1.6 focus... but these Dunlop's really do inspire confidence when you want to make headway.. the dry grip is good although just as good as Contis... but it's the wet grip that has, and still is, impressing me...I now feel the need...seeing as it's nice out and a Sunday..to give 'Elvie" an Italian tune up...I've deliberately let the fuel tank run down to about 40 miles left on the fuel comp..so I can refill it with either Shell Super Dooper or BP Super super Dooper???? now the prices are a bit softer....

·
mr grumpy
721 Posts
I've got them on the front.
Very good in the wet..

On the rear I've got bluresponse..
Not sure why they're not all the same..
Last owners choice..they was brand-new with the nibs so iaint complaining..

The front tyres let me down in the snow the other day..but icouid blame that on other drivers just revving away and turning everything into ice?

A good all round wet&dry tyre tho.

Them knankings and dinglongs hold no place on a Mondeo..(ditchfinders).

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only reason I bought Landsails two years ago was to tide me over about 2k miles till I got a set of 18 in mk3 OEM alloys....
I was wanting the zetec s eighteens as they look good plus look easy to keep clean...one reason why I wasn't keen on the 18s that come as standard on the St..then a set that u hadn't been looking for came up and had just been refurbed and "totally unmarked"brand new chrome centre caps costing £100 alone.....
There the 18in 7 spoke alloys that came as standard on the mk3 titanium x....can't believe the visual difference it's made....

Attachments

·
mr grumpy
721 Posts
They look nice Mac.

Iwouidnt mind a set of them'

Every set I've seen up for sale has been chewed up or scabby..

Zetec 's' wheels look good but they remind me of Ford galaxy alloys..

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These seem to be rarer than the other oem alloys that are popular upgrades..like I said I wasn't actually looking for this particular style as I hadn't seen it much to tell the truth....but it's really surprising how much they can change the look...hope you find that elusive set fella..by the way what model mondeo do you have..:)

·
mr grumpy
721 Posts
Which one lol.
I have 2 .

My daily is a ghia (ex demo) :)
Just bought a ST with a poorly engine.

As for them titX rims there's plenty about but not tidy enough to go on my car..
Ithink it will end up wearing some 'snowflakes.

·
Registered
900 Posts
.they seemed to hold a 2.0 petrol mk3 Mondog on rails, but they were pricey back in 08...then I've had nankangs on a mk2 Mondog..great in the dry but scary when it rained..same said of Landsails which I had before these..also had Firestone's which were excellent on a 1.6 focus... but these Dunlop's really do inspire confidence when you want to make headway.. the dry grip is good although just as good as Contis... but it's the wet grip that has, and still is, impressing me
Just as a matter of general info:

• I'm unsurprised that the Landsails (terrible name, apart from anything else) and the Nankangs (presumably something like NS-20s or NS-2s and not the 'track day' NS-2Rs) were rubbish. And that's in spite of of semi-decent Euro wet weather ratings.
  • There are some new tyres out: Dunlop has an SportMaxx RT2 (not seen any sign yet), Goodyear have an F1 Assy 3, and Conti a Sport Contact 6 and Michelin a Pilot Sport 4. I think broadly that these tyres should be some kind of improvement on their direct forebears, but exact details will take some time to become clear.

The other thing to be clear of is that, eg, the Conti SportContact 2 will not really represent the current state of the art, particularly as the 3 superseded the 2, the 5 superseded the 3 (...err...), the 5P superseded the 5 (sort of) and the 6 superseded the 5P (in some sizes), and small increments in performance will have occurred each time.

Now, not all of those tyres will be available in your size yet, and maybe will take quite a while to become available.

so I can refill it with either Shell Super Dooper or BP Super super Dooper????
Shell, for me. I'm sure that the BP is ok, but the one where I feel the difference is Shell (diesel).

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the tyre info Spare wheel...I do appreciate it... Haha the 205 '40 r17 nankangs came on a new set of 17 wolfrace triads I bought out of halfords.. they stayed on through that summer but half way through the winter I switched them and got...which were top back then were Conti 205 50 r17 2s...unbelievable immediately noticeable difference in handling noise and comfort....ting tong ding dong....:)

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oldhammer...did you get anything extra on the ghia...I've heard that sometimes demo's have extra kit on them thats over and above that model...I love the ghia models, my mk3 estate was a ghia but came with rear parking sensors and a 8 way drivers which were options on 53 reg..
do you know what might be up with the St..a mk2 or mk3/.
I'm currently thinking of buying a v6 Cougar....there is one on eBay a black C2 which is just down the road (20 mile) in Ellesmere port....just watching at the moment...I have thought about getting a mk3 st.. but my present ghia x has the same engine but different cat and exhaust.. they are really nice though..and the recaros look boss...have you any pics of your St?
Ive seen the mk3 on focus St alloys and they suit it well.:)

·
mr grumpy
721 Posts
Hi.my ghia didn't come with many extras.

*Denso sat nav.
*reverse sensors..
Maybe there's more.but I've not took any notice..
Its the paperwork that got me hooked on buying it :). There's a picture of it on here somewhere?

The ST is a mk3 .(engine is locked)
Its dumped in a lock up ATM. It may end up broke up for parts not sure yet?.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shame about the ST....but some of them get a hard life and driven like it's stolen....I've been checking out the mot history on the various Cougar's I've been looking at....cars failing on a few things and loads of advisories, then getting
re mot'd and only fixing the fail items...the advisories are all still there...even low f*"@k*+g brake fluid....these cars I avoid the owners are just scraping them through.Most times I hate technology:):)..but this mot history check is an excellent thingy.....

·
Registered
900 Posts
One other thing, as you mention the Cougar, be aware that the availability of standard sized tyres is(/was) shockingly poor.

I think every Cougar rolled out of the factory on Michelins, but, as soon as the production run stopped, Michelin stopped supplying the tyres. There were a few more options in the US, where the Cougar achieved a bit more popularity, but that quickly left Kumho as about the only supplier...and, if you couldn't get those, as you couldn't at one of the changeovers, you couldn't get tyres.

By now, a lot of people will have fitted aftermarket wheels with different sizes or slightly different sized tyres on the existing wheels, so in those cases it won't be a concern, but, if the car is still on standard-sized tyres, you may way to research the availability before you make a decision.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Spare wheel...WO.....what's wrong with the actual tyre size/wheels on the Cougar's.. most of the alloys on these cars like 9 out of 10, are on the OEM alloys they came out the factory with!! If you might have an answer on this anomaly I'd love to hear it..you might of saved me some hassle there fella.. so thanks for the heads up..:):)

·
Registered
900 Posts
IIRC, 215/50/16. And, if I understand correctly, the Cougar was the only mass production car that came on that tyre size (some people converted, eg, Corsas and the like to use them, on aftermarket wheels, but that never was a mass market, so never kept the tyre market rolling).

I've just had a look to see if the situation has changed, and pneus-online, which usually has the best selection of tyres (not necessarily the cheapest, but the best selection) has two tyres, one 'track day' tyre and one Kumho' (but not one that I know, such as the KU19 or KU39). So, of you didn't like Kumhos, or you wanted a FE rating better than 'E', you aren't going to get any tyres. Now, the price of those Kumhos isn't too terrible, but if those Kumhos become unavailable... Really, you'd just prefer to have a choice...

And, that's at the place that usually has the best selection of tyres, so you imagine how much joy you are going to get at your local 'Krap Fit'.

Now, you can fit slightly different tyre sizes (can't remember the details, but, say, 215/45/16 sounds as if it would be possible, but changes the gearing and speedo reading, 225/45/16 might work, provided that they are not too wide for the rims, and the gearing is ok, etc, etc).

Now, if someone has already fitted aftermarket wheels - 17 would clearly be 'sensible', 18 or 19 sounds workable if you can tolerate somewhat firmer suspension, then fine. But, remember, these are the 'old skool' four stud fitting, so if you buy rims yourself, you aren't going to be transferring those rims on to a newer Mondy or Focus later ('cos they have now gone five stud).

Edit:

Back in the day, I described the tyre situation as the worst feature of the car. And, while that might be a bit exaggerated, it is an irritant. If you are happy with getting new rims, then fine (but look at the percentage of the car price, with how cheap Cougars are, these days - you'd be much better off if someone else has already done it for you).

The other thing is, while the V6 is a lovely thing to be dragged along by, it isn't exactly a fuel economy machine, and, compared to more modern machinery, it doesn't turn out devastating levels of power, either. I did consider an LPG conversion, but, by the time I came to that thought I wasn't intending keeping the car much longer, so it wasn't worth it.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks again Spare wheel for the delay info.....
I'll tell you that when looking up the mot history a recurring

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[quote name="Macmondy3L" post="2496673" timestamp="1457507908"]Thanks again Spare wheel for the info.....(learnt something again):)
I'll tell you that when looking up the mot history of Cougar's.
a reoccurring advisory on the tyres... always down to the minimum with fails on ply and cord...I know alot of people will laugh at the Cougar's 20 mpg and a 0 to 60 of 8.5....but as long as there isn't any terminal tin worm,main thing is the sills and subframe... and worn lower arms..the mechanicals are tough..
Them 17 inch triads I mentioned in the earlier post that I had fitted to my mk2 Mondog...I've still got them although they want refurbing, they should fit a Cougar....:)

·
Registered
900 Posts
If you've got a suitable set of wheels that take a sensible tyre size, that makes the biggest problem go away.

Superficial tin worm does start a bit earlier than you'd like, but most of the underside gets to look a bit rough rather than MoT-failingly bad. The lower arms are a bit expensive, and I did have a series of advisories on them...until I took it to someone more sensible for the MoT (and the local Ford garage said 'but that's normal', which was reassuring).

The other thing I should warn you about are brake lines; they pre-date the plastic coated ones, and do rust, eventually. I got in to painting them in engine oil every spring, but that's not ideal, as it was taking longer every year.

My mpg wasn't that bad - I used to get 32-34, but that was mostly on dual carriageways and motorways; if you spend lots of time in stop-start traffic around town, it will be lots worse. There are people who don't even get 20! (one of the tricks is to use the low down torque to keep the car moving, rather than heading towards the red line...but, sometimes you just want to hear what the V6 has got to say to you).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts