Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Megger
55 Posts
Good Evening All
Have tried searching the forum re the above but cannot find it,there was a posting not long ago where someone mentioned that by gently bending a spring holder in the handbrake mechanism the auto-adjust function could be improved...well that is what I need to do as the damn thing is almost vertical....

Any takers..

P.S.

Have had the mondeo just over six months now and have managed to take apart both front door mechanisms to "adjust" the micro switches that make the central locking have a mind of its own,if you have the same problems you have my sympathies as I've never seen such a complicated set-up...

Thanks

John ;)

P.P.S. 1999 2.0Si

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
it is possible but its hard to explain your best lifting the centre console and having a look yourself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same problem, I removed the coin holder on my centre console and went under the hand brake gaiter. Take a long shanked flat headed screwdriver, pull the hand brake up to maximum extent. Place the blade of the screw driver underneath the self adjustment ratchet, the screw driver will naturally sit on a rivet which acts as a pivot. Hold the screwdriver in place and and lower the handbrake lever it will wind in the clockspring in the handbrake, you will hear the ratchet click. Your handbrake will now be adjusted to 5-6 clicks.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
easyer said than done though lol

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
Will that tighten up the handbrake?

might try to do that later... and hopefully it will last till i sort out the brake system completely... (brake discs/pads change)

To be honest... i won't be surprised if it is what Ford Service place would do for charging £23 (that's what i have been quoted 'Handbrake adjustment')

Tried in an empty carpark earlier on... going at 15mph.. pulled the handbrake hard and nothing happened! No significant slowdown... in fact i am starting to call that centre lever the 'park brake'! (whoops... that means a handbrake turn is impossible! :tongue: )

Phil

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
if you got drums theyre not easy to get them to slow/lock up

·
Turbo Boost Me!
1,018 Posts
Mine is on 3 clicks with no modded handbrake

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
mine are discs at the back....

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
disks as standard or did you add them? if you added them did you change the cable? as you need to use a different cable.

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
persumeably standard... coz when i got it there are discs at the back...

anyway.. more important things to sort out at this moment...

suffered a puncture in birmingham... and kept going into service stations to keep the pressure up. Back into bristol and pulled out the nail and probably have a tyre change on thursday! (lucky in the unlucky situation:tongue:)

(whoops! :whistling: Drifted off topic a bit!)

Phil

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
his is a mk2 if you look at his signature

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
Well as totalguy said.. mine's a Mk2 and i haven't even changed the brake pads yet...

it's on a really worn down rotor, and half worn pads (on all corners)... so hopefully after the complete change it will sort itself out.. or at least get better.

So impossible to do handbrake turn at the moment... :whistling: but hey...

Phil

·
Megger
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yardarm1-Thanks for that,just got the haynes manual out and gave up after 3/4 hour as the centre console was stuck between the seats (Si) and would require a seat removal to complete the job,but I did get a good look at the mechanism and you're dead right no need to bother with all that Haynes crap if you know what is what,just remove the coin holder and place a long thin flat blade screwdriver in and hey presto a happy handbrake...

Many thanks and a Happy Winter holiday or to those of us who are not full of that politically correct crap- Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

John ;)

·
Smegger
167 Posts
I also have a vertical handbrake lever. I removed the coin holder and tried proding everything with my screwdriver. I can't find where to shove it. Anybody help? Photo would be brilliant.

Taff

·
MEG Admiral
2,265 Posts
not sure if these are any good to anybody, but thought i'd take a couple of handbrake pic's since my centre console's out anyway if they're any help?
maybe somebody could save them n mark on some kind of indication where to poke the screwdriver/what to do

·
ST200 Limited Ghia X
6,513 Posts
i had this problem a couple of years ago and some guy on here was urging the same method, but evrybody who was interested could not do it....including myself. if somebody could 'paint' some arrows on the pics so we all know where to stick the screwdriver we will all be very grateful.if somebody made this into how to it would be one of the most beneficial/used how to's on this site! :ponder:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.