Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Megger
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What ho one and all,

May be a dumb question but.......

When it comes to axle stands, what is better? I have a pair of three legged folding that hopefully, would take 2 tons. But as there are a number of flexible points on it, when the car is lowered, the stands so quite a bit of 'settlement.'

Obviously, non-folding will not settle, but storage is a bit of an issue.

Or are four legged ones better? Problem with four legs is they need a flat area to stand, while of course, three legs will always be stable.

So what is 'recommended/'

Thanks and toodle pip

·
Dash cams, catch 'em out :)
13,164 Posts
My two penneth :)

Unless your folding stands were fairly expensive the 2 tonnes you mention will be 2 tonnes for the pair, as in 1 tonne each. Apologies if you already knew that.

If your folding stands are 1 tonne each, when you place the first stand under car you are placing the stand under a large load for its rating.

Obviously folding stands have lots of components, so a lot of parts to possibly fail. I don't agree with the three legs being more stable theory, and in fact, the larger the stands the less stable folding stands are. If a car is lifted higher this puts more lateral strain on the stand, and this lateral movement makes a folding stand more liable to fail.

From a safety point of view it's easier to visually inspect a solid four legged stand for any damage.

A four legged solid stand also has a larger footprint so is more stable on sloping ground to as the centre of load stays over the footprint more easily.

I have a couple pairs of folding stands but only tend to use them for light loads, or to support individual components while the car is up on solid stands.

All of the above also related to what jack you use with the car, if you have a jack that won't lift the car very high the stand: footprint, lateral movement or height range won't matter to much.

Given the choice, I will use 2 tonne solid stands for basic work, or 3 tonne solid stands if I'm actually going to be working under the car as they have a higher lift range.

·
Megger
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Never had the car fully on the stands; usually only one side and when I am doing that, have the hydraulic jack with around 50% of the weight.

Checking my stands and they are RAC labelled (China's best!) with a 1000kg max weight. Given the car manual says the entire car is 1500kg, they should be OK.

They do have one nice 'feature' in that with the legs splayed, the central column is in contact with the ground so all vertical weight is on the column.

May look at getting a pair of more robust stands because I definitely need more tools in the garage!

Is it not somewhat immoral advertising that the Halford 3 tonne axle stands are rated at 1.5 each and the 2 tonne are 1 each?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.