Ford Automobiles Forum banner

Battery advice

4K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  kyutu 
#1 ·
Hi looking for some battery advice, like others, my stop start doesn't work and a quick check with Forscan reveals its only holding 30% charge and causing stopstart to not work. Given the battery is the original from 5yrs ago, I need a new AGM battery, however I get conflicting results from online vendors as to what size it should be, and the ford sticker on the original doesn't say enough. - this is for a 1.5tdci engine - any advice on what I should be buying much appreciated ????

#2 ·
I swapped my original battery out for one of these: https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/exide/ek800/

The battery dimensions don't have to be identical as the tray has an adjustable tab to cater for longer batteries, just ensure the terminals and height are the same really.

For what it's worth I've had this battery since late last year and my Start Stop/Heated Screen work every time so far so well worth the upgrade.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/exide/el752/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwse-DBhC7ARIsAI8YcWIy-LgjmB9qgI80fJzmzYiV83ILBDeoaOTe7E108QCBVnMUorP04qwaAqxFEALw_wcB

This one would be nearer the original fit at 75ah, i think originals are actually 70ah

The one above is a bigger amperage so would be useful if you do shorter trips or drive more in the dark etc

I would go for the Kyutu choice but shop around.

Tayna are good but can be beaten

Halfords do a longer warranty? Which may be a consideration but timing of purchase is key with Halfords

#5 ·
https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/exide/el752/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwse-DBhC7ARIsAI8YcWIy-LgjmB9qgI80fJzmzYiV83ILBDeoaOTe7E108QCBVnMUorP04qwaAqxFEALw_wcB

This one would be nearer the original fit at 75ah, i think originals are actually 70ah

The one above is a bigger amperage so would be useful if you do shorter trips or drive more in the dark etc

Halfords do a longer warranty? Which may be a consideration but timing of purchase is key with Halfords
Good shout, my choice was based on someone elses recommendation so i knew it would fit, and that because I tend to do alot of short trips I knew I needed more capacity headroom so it would at least last longer between charges, but so far I must say I have been really impressed with how long it has lasted without needing a charge.

I would be keen to know how that 75AH Exide holds up, no point paying out more if you don't need to!

#6 ·

Good shout, my choice was based on someone elses recommendation so i knew it would fit, and that because I tend to do alot of short trips I knew I needed more capacity headroom so it would at least last longer between charges, but so far I must say I have been really impressed with how long it has lasted without needing a charge.

I would be keen to know how that 75AH Exide holds up, no point paying out more if you don't need to!
I would buy the one you linked to myself.Because i do short trips during the week to work and back so battery drain is heavy especially in winter with little chance to charge back properly

That was what i was trying to say (badly) in my post

When i said the one above i mean't yours :~)

#7 ·

Yep, think I'm going to go for the cheaper option, it looks fine and is slightly above the spec of the original ford battery [emoji106] I'll keep an eye on it with Forscan on my phone and see what happens [emoji106]

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
@kyutu when you changed from EFB to AGM larger capacity battery, did you change the BMS settings? Looks like you need to alter these settings when changing the battery capacity/Ah
I used FORscan to alter the Battery specifications to the closest that was available, so it isn't 1:1 but close. I don't recall changing anything else.

#10 ·
thanks for the info there mate - these mk5 beasts are a different world to the old mk4/4.5. Customising car configs are not quite as simple on these that's for sure lol :)

After much deliberation - and a 5% discount code i found for tayna (not much but half postage anyway!), I went for the Varta AGM battery with a bit more punch than the existing EFB:

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/varta/f21/

Got in the car before and the screen was showing a battery saver screen - and i charged the battery (apparently) to full health 2 days ago. only time i've seen stop start kick in was after i pulled the battery for 15 minutes to try and reset the LINbus the other night. Pretty sure when i bought the car the battery had been dead as a doornail, because half the park functions weren't working until i had a drive....suspect the EFB one in there had drained to nothing and killed it off. it is a 5 year old battery mind - and underpowered considering this car has electric and electronic everything loaded into it - the power tailgate must take some juice to lift that thing alone!

#12 ·
Don't forget to reset the battery monitoring system after replacing battery. Forscan is ideal!
Yeah I was wondering about this - I've got Forscan lite on Android phone which seems to work well with the old Bluetooth elm327 module I've had for years - not sure if the phone 'lite' version will be able to do a battery monitor reset though? I've not tried it on a laptop as yet.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

#13 ·
pretty sure you will need full Forscan to make these changes - also i believe the gui does not work properly and you have to directly change the as-built config settings.

Thankfully, I have genuine UCDS, so will make changes through that instead!

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
BMS reset = relearn the battery voltages etc so it knows how healthy/full it is.

A manual BMS reset is not really needed as such because your car should perform this itself anyway, it just takes it a while to decide to do it if left to it's own devices. I think it does it overnight or after so many hours when it's not been touched, but don't quote me on that. Doing it manually is just for peace of mind and it's what garages would do.

You can do it with a combination of pedals/ignition, no need for FORscan.

Altering the battery specification that is stored in the memory however will require either FORscan or UCDS. The latest FORscan makes it super easy (barely an inconvenience!) as it's pretty much all GUI with easy to understand menus now. If you have the required adapter then it's a useful tool to have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.