Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
E55EX_RACER said:
Cheers :L Battery is only 6 months old, if it is the alternator and I don't replace it soon will it damage it?
If the alternator is charging all it will do is drain the battery over time,
Basically all the battery's there for is a source of stored energy so as to start the car etc.

When the batterys fully charged the alternator should just be powering the various components,and re-charge as and when neccesary,

only thing the alternator may do is overcharge the battery if the regulator in the alternator goes pete tong.

easy enough to change,better from under the car though. :L

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
if the alternator is overcharging then you have the makings of a potential bomb under the bonnet , the battery , for your own peace of mind , check it or get it checked asap :L

·
MEG Captain
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Didn't get the chance to test it today as it wouldn't stop raining, hopefully tomorrow. Anyway, I took the car out and it was fine for 10 minutes, then it came on and off every few seconds. Now it's permanently on.

From what I've been reading if it's the alternator or voltage regulator then I should notice this via the headlights, dash lights?

I'm going to check the belt tomorrow as well cos in the past few weeks I've had the occasional squealing noise when parking. Could the 2 be related if it's the belts? But then having said that, they're 2 different belts aren't they? :shifty:

If the battery reads ok I'll change the belt. It's fairly easy to do isn't it, just slacken it and it pulls off?

How can I check these brushes as well?

Cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Relating to what belts you have i suggest a HAYNES Manual, i would think it would be the drive belt squealing because the power steering is driven off this belt.

With reference to the carbon brushes, once you have removed the alternator, remove the back plate & you can remove & inspect the carbon brushes for wear / Length
Then phone around any auto electrics if brushes are to be suspect. If you have any doubt replace alternator, All the best Peter

·
MEG Captain
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[quote name=Peter J L]Relating to what belts you have i suggest a HAYNES Manual, i would think it would be the drive belt squealing because the power steering is driven off this belt.

With reference to the carbon brushes, once you have removed the alternator, remove the back plate & you can remove & inspect the carbon brushes for wear / Length
Then phone around any auto electrics if brushes are to be suspect. If you have any doubt replace alternator, All the best Peter[/quote]

I have a Ford TIS for reference, although it is only very basic. The TD has a separate belt for the alternator, power steering and air con. Checked the power steering belt today and there was alot of flex in it plus it looks like it's starting to crack.

Anyway, it is definately the alternator that is at fault as I found out earlier. Had to call the AA out as I went out and with the lights being on, plus it started raining so had the wipers on everything started draining so the problem has obviously got worse. I was 3 roads away from home when the lights went. Saw the old bill behind me so pulled over. They thought I was drunk and was driving with no lights on. The copper asked me if I'd been drinking, I said no, so he said breathe on me, just had me roast dinner as well!! :blush: It don't take long to use a breathalyser :shifty: :confused:

AA came out and he checked the battery and that was reading fine. I did check it earlier as well and it was reading 12V when idle and up to 3500 revs with the rear window switched on and lights. I assumed this was ok? He charged the battery for 15 mintues, was just enough to get me home, less than 3 minutes away :shocked:

The bloke did say it could be a loose connection though, how likely is this? He told me it was difficult fitting a new one and I'm better off going to a garage? Surely I could do this meself, don't seem to difficult looking at the TIS? I need me car due to working nights as well so gotta get this done asap. I'm going to get some prices for a new pattern one tomorrow, how much am I looking at though?

Also gotta give a big :L to the AA as well, within 5 minutes of me phoning them the guy arrived and I was home 20 minutes later!

·
LED Extraordinaire
8,458 Posts
Find out how much an alternator is for the td and see if they are all the same 97 to 2000 cos im sure i have a reconditioned td one from a 97 in stock :)

·
LED Extraordinaire
8,458 Posts
E55EX_RACER said:
Well going by the website of one company I use that supplies genuine ford parts they are all the same from 93 to 2000. I will check tomorrow though. The price for that is 85 quid. If you do have one how much would you want for it mate?
Cover p&p :)

·
MEG Captain
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
guardtower said:
E55EX_RACER said:
Well going by the website of one company I use that supplies genuine ford parts they are all the same from 93 to 2000. I will check tomorrow though. The price for that is 85 quid. If you do have one how much would you want for it mate?
Cover p&p :)
PT sent :L

The Ford TIS states 2 different methods for fitting this as some variants of the TD has a fuel fired heater. Is it really necessary to remove the parts it tells you to? Mines an LX so would it have this anyway?

·
MEG Captain
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've just taken the intercooler off to have a look. There's a pipe running over it with a silver (heat resistant?) cover over it. I'm assuming this means it has the fuel fired heater.

All the connections on the alternator though are covered in oil, it was quite thick. Could this be the cause of the problem? Can I check the brushes by taking the voltage regulator out as there's loads of room to access it?

Just had to come in though cos it's started chucking it down!! :sad:

·
MEG Corporal
801 Posts
don't know about the td, but iv got petrol x reg and the alternator is different than the advertised in the net for 93-2000. it has a socket at the back with 3 wires coming out. because mine is whining(i suspect it is the alt) i checked aroung i could'nt find this model advertised in the net. went to a el shop(south london near croydon found in ebay) dealing with this stuff and the chap there asked 130 for this kind of alt(recon). ford's price i did'nt bother to remember even a second.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.