Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 S-Max sport.

When starting the car I noticed that it didn't start as eagerly as it usually does. I therefore disconnected the battery negative and charged the battery.

Before reinstating the battery negative and with all doors closed and nothing turned on ,measured the current being drawn from the battery at stand still, it was 4 Amps.

Has anyone had a similar experience and if so have an explanation as to what could be drawing this amount of current with everything turned off. Can't recall the battery size at the moment but if it were say 60A/hr rated then it would fully discharge in 15hrs. But the cars been standing unused for a lot longer but still turns over and starts.?

·
Registered
123 Posts
GW
Hi
Same as me.
It could be lots of reasons, such as alarm system, radio /CD player, or some other stuff that you or the previous owner installed (not ford genuine parts).
By the way, you need much stronger battery, the 60 is low especially with whether like yourself at GB, you something with higher CCA (take a look at the pic that i added)
4e4f7899dca23a3c21ffd03e8afb3941.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Micke4369 that's a very interesting video you posted and thanks for your efforts. I will try the test procedure.

Also thanks to rbitton782 for your input. By the way the 60A battery I mentioned was simply an example as I was to lazy to get off my backside and go out to the car and check

what alarmed and puzzled me was not only the 4amp draw but the fact the battery would still start the car after a week standing doing nothing. However the video has alerted me to the concept that certain circuitry can stay on for a long time after you leave the car and also the obvious (when you know how) having the key in your pocket when carrying out the checks.

ONWARD AND UPWARD( I hope)

thanks again!

·
I might like Fords
1,691 Posts
How long did you leave the vehicle in the test state? You need to wait at least 30 minutes for the car to shut down and go to sleep.

Reactions: Legion

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I did it first time the battery had been charging overnight (while in the car. Next morning before reconnecting I took the current drain measurement. However I had unlocked the car and kept the keys in my pocket.
when the rain stops I'm going to try again but this time with keys out of the way and wait 1/2 before checking the current.

·
Super Moderator
29,780 Posts
Dont forget opening the door/boot or bonnet may reset the timer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE

fully charge the battery then connected on my multimeter. The current draw was 35mA, opened a door and the current went up to just over 4A. Shot the door and the current dropped to just over 2A and continued for approx

2-3 mins after which it dropped back to 35mA.

i then went and got the car keys (the car has keyless ignition) to see what affect that had and the current draw stayed a 35mA, so the key has no affect.

The current draw I noticed in my first post must have been down a door being slightly open/other. Anyway it all looks good just now

·
Super Moderator
29,780 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts