Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
So, the car Is three years and one month old and the battery is on its last legs.

First Non start was 3 weeks ago, considering the car isn't used a great deal - Just 8000 miles in three years I thought that perhaps long periods in the garage, when used auto light on and seat heaters perhaps they were taking more out of the battery than the alternator was putting back - and most journeys rather short - though Birmingham airport and back once a week from Leicester but probably not enough charging going on to compensate.

Charged the battery up with the Ctek - left it a few days to get on with it, then I had to move the car onto the driveway whilst I have another car in the garage doing a fair bit of work on, Auto lights now turned off and the seat heaters so drain must be minimal.

Started the car up yesterday for the weekly airport run - no problem, picked up a friend just a few yards up the street and switched off whilst I went inside - two minutes later tried to start and click, click, click - Bstard.

Two failures is enough for me to change the battery - I know the alternator is fine.

The point of this post is that the battery in question is a super all beefed up EFB start/stop battery - designed for the rigours of heavy use - so much for the rhetoric the batteries are designed more robustly.

The battery in the 13 year old Focus Mk1 lasted 10 years.

So new one is on the Ctek giving it its initial charge (don't know how long its sat on the shelves in ECP) and will fit in the morning

I do hope my supper beefed up starter motor isn't the next casualty

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Early battery failure with stop/start cars seems quite common.

There have been a few posts lately, with failures around 3-4 years, the batteries seem expensive as well!

Makes you wonder if you actually save money with stop/start.

·
Clever Clauggs
4,454 Posts
On Fiesta 2014 model the battery went dead after 3days stood AA made out it

was battery but took it to Ford they said its software not shutting down thus drains

battery,so still got same battery.

But all this new wizardry must kill these batteries sooner.

As you say my mk1.5 2002 focus never needed a new battery in 15yrs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just to give an alternative view - mine (61 plate 1.6 diesel titanium) has start stop and I do tend to use it pretty much all the time. The battery still seems fine after 5 years and 85000 miles.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just another view like muller63. I had an 06 titx 1.6 deisel. I changed the battery august 2016 when stop start stopped kicking in. Had done around 90000 miles

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tested the battery yesterday for its CCA rating - it originally was 590 all that is left in it was 90 - so 500 cranking amps have escaped somewhere, tested the charging system and diodes too - all fine with the car so the new battery at 730CCA rating and according to ECP is the correct battery for it was a real struggle to fit - its a bit bigger - had to take the plastic spacer out of the battery tray and flex the scuttle to get the battery in - but its all fitted and fixed now.

·
51 Posts
The battery in my 2013 1.6Tdci Titanium lasted 2 years, and the garage said it needed replacing! I was NOT pleased. I was even less pleased when I found it cost £220, and I had to buy it from Ford as the AA & RAC could not supply one. Ford only guarantee the batteries for 1 year despite the fact that the AA headquarters assured me that ALL major battery manufacturers gave at least a 3 year guarantee - so these are clearly a money-spinner for Ford.

·
Clever Clauggs
4,454 Posts
The battery in my 2013 1.6Tdci Titanium lasted 2 years, and the garage said it needed replacing! I was NOT pleased. I was even less pleased when I found it cost £220, and I had to buy it from Ford as the AA & RAC could not supply one. Ford only guarantee the batteries for 1 year despite the fact that the AA headquarters assured me that ALL major battery manufacturers gave at least a 3 year guarantee - so these are clearly a money-spinner for Ford.
That is same as i thought,but my fiesta was 15mths old when i bought it and battery died under 1 year

warranty so i had entitlement of warranty from ford ,i found it might have been cheaper to obtain a

battery from this ford supplier https://store-d0b3c.mybigcommerce.com/cart.php

1 - 8 of 8 Posts