Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 Ford Mondeo MK4
1.8 Zetec Diesel

I recently tried to start my car after it had been stood for a number of weeks, i do believe the radio had been used by my son though to listen to in the garden, to find the battery was flat.

After jump starting the car and leaving it to tick over for an hour i took it for a drive.

I now find that the ABS, ESP and handbrake lights wont go off on the dashboard.

I didnt notice any problems whilst driving it, am i safe to drive the car and is there any way i can reset the lights?

Im assuming i'll have to take it to a ford dealer for them to reset at great expense at the least?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I used to have a Mercedes which wanted 'steering alignment' done after battery was empty or disconnected. You could try turning steering from lock to lock few times. That way ESP discovers when front wheels are pointing straight and it knows what to do if its needed. Don't know if it works with Mondeo but its easy to try.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately the lights have come back after the car had stood for another 3 months.

I had been driving it with no problems since the 1st of October with all these 3 lights on but at a service MOT today the Ford dealership told me that it was an ECU fault that was making these lights stay on and it would cost £800 to repair.

Ive read on a few forums about possible weather damage to the wheel sensors and cables for those sensors. Is it easy to find these sensors as ive read a few people have had to remove the wheel arch. Hoping they just mean the trim and not the wing.

·
Super Moderator
1,513 Posts
Could you disconnect the battery when the vehicle is parked up for long periods? Only modern computers on cars don't respond well to low voltages and will give many erroneous faults when system voltage is low for extended periods.

Or get one of those solar 12v trickle chargers to keep the battery topped up.

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/chargers-and-conditioners/solar-battery-chargers.aspx

We have a 2 year old Ford van at work which is used for storage and has only covered 100+ miles since it was delivered and everytime we carry out a monthly safety check the bloody thing is flat... when we replace the battery for a fully charged unit the digital display on the dash goes nuts and gives all types of ABS - Gearbox - Steering faults.

You can always open the doors with the key located inside the remote keyfob.

I laughed at Fords "That'll be £800 for a new ECU"

Maybe if the MK4 electrical system was more robust and designed better then we wouldn't have these issues, and I wouldn't have to carry around a booster pack in the boot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.