Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mk1 TD into which a van kindly drove into and then disappeared leaving me with a very bent track rod. Is it possible to replace just the track rod or does the whole steering rack need replacing?

I really don't want to have to replace the rack as besides being a lot of work, it'll cost more than the car's worth...

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Well, you could be looking at a write off. Did you see the van or catch the reg plate? Was there any cameras around the area it happened?

I would be very tempted to report this to the police if I were you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, a neighbour saw Mr. White Van Man hit my car and do a runner, so the police have been notified with his reg no.

In the meantime I'm left without much needed transport, and if its a case of just changing the track rod and getting the wheel alignment checked I'll do it myself. But the only topic in the Hayne's manual is on replacing the entire rack, so was wondering if anyone has managed to remove just one track rod?

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
you can replace the track rod you need to losten the gator on the steering rack to access the other end to undo it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.