Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Hope everyone is holding up well!

I currently drive an ST220 with the Sony CD Changer head unit (a friend of mine has a Ghia X with the Denso sat nav so asking for both systems) and would like to improve the sound quality (overall hifi sound rather than just bass as some shops seem to be trying to sell me!) and was wondering if anyone has any tips of how to do this? If possible I'd like to keep the factory head unit for integration but I'm not sure how good the sound coming out of this is, so if needs be I won't be heartbroken to change this (any tips on good units welcome).

I was going to start by changing the speakers and see where this lead me, possibly adding an amp and a subwoofer in afterwards, has anyone undertaken a similar job and have any tips on how best to go about this?

I've seen a variety of "chinese" android units online with touch screens that are designed to match the aesthetic of the car but only state 4x65W sound outputs, does anyone have any experience with these (reliability/quality of output).

Lots of questions so I do apologize, I'm new to this!

Thanks,

Tom

·
Super Moderator
30,049 Posts
The chinese tablet/stereo style units wont have decent sound. The original CD6000

with the tape deck probably sounds better.

I had the Sony unit in my 2006 MK3 Ghia and I thought that sounded quite good.

Better than the standard unit fitted to the LX models.

Speakers were certainly better.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I've often wondered this too..... I'm thinking it's more down to the head unit rather than speakers,,, as in other cars I've changed them and it seems to help but only a little.... I'd say going down the sub and amp will most likely get the better quality your after, although I had and old ST170 and I retro fitted the sub and amp and the 9006 head unit which was an optional extra and sounded way better still have the 9006 head unit hahaha.
Someone with much more knowledge on ICE will be able to give much better advice than me,,
My aftermarket head unit (not in car) has a sub output and you can change the frequencies of the sub,middle,treble as well as just changing to add more or less like all units (1-6 etc)

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Hi

Sound of both may improve with new speakers, cones may be getting a little loose with use and age. Perhaps another owner knows of a good aftermarket replacement. I once owned an ST200 sound really picked up by swapping out Ford speakers but cannot remember type.

I was always surprised how good the Sony unit inside the Denso SatNav sounded. What was important were 1, how unit was set up and 2, actual track you were listening to. I used to dump a few mp3 albums onto a CD, then listen on random play. While driving I occasionally turned volume up as I noticed sound a little weak. Then someone like the Stranglers or AC/DC would come on and bass would fill the car.

Peter

Reactions: essexrunningguy

·
Dash cams, catch 'em out :)
13,170 Posts
One of the first things to know when thinking of improving sound is that neither the Sony head unit or the Sony speakers were actually made by Sony, they were made by a third party company.

With this in mind it's easier to understand that changing to a well known branded headed unit can radically improve sound quality, even if the replacement is an aftermarket Sony.

Changing from any of the factory fit Sony head units to an aftermarket head unit can be pretty simple, and there is a lot of info on that subject on this site.

Changing from a Denso to an aftermarket head unit is a lot more complex, and a lot more involved. That's a real shame as the Denso is such a dated unit in modern terms.

Swapping the factory fit speakers will improve sound quality, but you would need to be fitting decent quality speakers in order to see much change.

Fitting a branded aftermarket head unit could transform the sound completely. When I swapped to a Kenwood unit the difference was night and day. As a comparison to a modern factory unit my Kenwood still makes the Sync head unit in my 2017 Focus sound cheap and tinny.

For the aftermarket route you could choose to have a chinese branded unit with lots of features for a very good price, or go for a top brand unit with fewer features but better sound. It all depends what features you want. Whatever to choose it's likely to be far more advanced than any of the factory fit head units. :)

If you are handy with modifying things there are some quite nice chinese large screen touch screen units I've noticed people fitting recently. They are android systems with an ipad sized screen.

·
13,170 Posts
An aftermarket head unit brings the chance for:

Proper voice control.

better phone calling, texting or emailing.

Lots more music storage.

ability to play DVD, or store films on a card.

DAB radio.

Modern satnav.

better bluetooth.

TV.

Reversing cam.

Output device Gadget Display device Television set Technology

Attachments

·
13,170 Posts
This is probably obvious, but another way to improve sound quality in the car is to stop the panels and body from vibrating.

Many serious car audio types will completely coat the inside of their cars with sound deadening and sound insulating, and will coat everything from floor to roof.

That is quite a commitment, but even small selected areas of sound deadening or insulation will help.

It you are unfamiliar with this idea it might be worth searching youtube for videos on the subject. Even stopping the doors vibrating at high music volumes will vastly improve sound quality. :)

·
13,170 Posts
I can't find any goid pics, but this one shows a layer of anti vibration coating under my back seats. I have this under the seats, in the boot and on various panels. It was too keep out some noise from my exhaust as well as stopping the panels vibrating.

Automotive lighting Hood Purple Water Font

An extra layer of boot carpet on top added extra damping, as well as hiding the shiny panels.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle door Trunk Automotive exterior

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts