Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
MEG Corporal
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My Xenon lights have recently started flickering every so often, it's like they are igniting (similar to when first turning on headlights) but without doing the level test. Seems to be occurring randomly and happens when driving steady, accelerating steady and hard, turning (bends, junctions). Near side started to do it at first but I think the offside is now doing it too.

I had a quick search on the net and other forums suggest that it is most likely the ballasts. I've not had a look yet but I did change the bulbs in 2014 for Osram cool blue intense (D1S bulbs), so I can refit the originals as a test.

Any thoughts please?

Thanks.

·
MEG Corporal
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's a video of it when it happens.

This is what happens when the lights are turned 'on'

·
MEG Corporal
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I re-fitted the original bulbs and they haven't flickered on the two occasions that I've driven in the dark.

Will try the Cool blue intense bulbs again soon.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Sorry I meant to reply before. It's usually a sign of failure of the lamps or ballast as you've found. No easy way to diagnose other than swapping out for known good items.

·
MEG Corporal
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Steve. Hoping it's the bulbs rather than ballasts, though would be a little disappointed at their lifespan.

·
MEG Corporal
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, it's been 4 weeks since I re-fitted the Cool Blue Intense bulbs. Not been out in the dark much but initially they were still flickering, though not as much, but not at all on the last two 30 min drives this week, weird.

I did buy some replacements the other week, looks like Osram have changed the colour temperature in the new bulbs. (New bulbs in the Duobox)

Circuit component Gadget Electronic component Audio equipment Electronic device

Attachments

Reactions: SteveyG

·
MEG Corporal
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just an update after another 6 weeks...it's not flickered at all, must have been doing it due to lack of use in lockdown or moisture.

Not fitted new bulbs yet.

·
MEG Corporal
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Started to flicker again yesterday morning and quite a lot last night, will fit new bulbs later or tomorrow.

·
MEG Corporal
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fitted the new bulbs and it has been fine for the last two weeks. Seems the Cool Blue Intense bulbs only lasted 7 years for me. Hope the new bulbs last as long and glad it wasn't the ballasts.

The glass on the old bulbs had gone milky too.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I think I fitted mine around the same as you, fortunately no issue with mine yet. I do have a spare ballast though just in case.

Recently replaced the projectors with metal ones as the parabolic reflector was pretty damaged, it gave a huge improvement in light output and beam shape.

·
MEG Corporal
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting, I saw the thread a few years back about getting the reflectors re-chromed (or whatever it is) and that would be a pain if I needed to send them off.
Where did you get the metal projectors from?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts