Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
MEG's Resident Removal Man
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the biggest ICE setup a mk2 TD will take before a bigger alternator has to be fitted??

Asking here because its probaly the most appropriate forum for some mods i have planned for my TD

jcth1

·
MEG Sergeant
1,308 Posts
Define biggest if you installed a split charge system I reckon you could run 200-300amps worth of amplifer before the alternator needed replacing

·
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok since i dont have a clue i think i need to explain myself better.

What is the highest amount of amps, watts or whatever i can run without need for upgrading the alternator?

jcth1

·
MEG Sergeant
1,308 Posts
probably around 150amps with just the normal charging system. I'm currently running about 140 amps in mine and the voltage drops to 12.3v on really heavy tracks.

·
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what sort of wattage can i max out at aswell?

any ideas.

jcth1

·
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Btw im not planning on running a big ICE setup. Im going to add a car puter and convert to HID's and some other things hence im asking.

I dont want to either max out the capacity of the alternator or leave my battery in a dire state that its unable to crank a TD over.

jcth1

·
MEG Sergeant
1,308 Posts
you should be able to run a carputer and hids without knackering the battery easily.

I have one amp that makes 500w I doubt the carputer and hids will be anymore then that

·
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HID's will reduce consumption from 220w (full beam aswell) to 140w.

Carputer will be about 150 w plus im planning some other things aswell.

looking at running dual battery also.

jcth1

·
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
whats a split charge system?

jcth1

·
MEG Sergeant
1,308 Posts
running two battery's but the second battery is cut off from the main battery using a relay until you start the car. that way you will always have enough power to start the car :)

·
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh rite cool. Cant i just run two batteries all the time though?

jcth1

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
You could, but bare in mind that instead of having one battery for use on ICE or whatever and one for use on the engine, as you would have with a split charge circuit, both batteries will always be in use. You will have double the battery life, but it's not an advisable way of running this system as this is likely to mess with your current charging system as this is only used to one battery. If all you are doing is HID's and a pc, then you really don't need to worry, I got a good 1500watts of ice in my car and that doesn't even struggle!

·
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok thats cool. Could i implement a switch over system so i have all that cranking oomp of twin batteries and then only charge one up then the other?

i know that im going to be reducing watts with the hid's but will be taking it with the car puter.

Was looking at 120ah batteries on ebay. Leisure ones i believe.

jcth1

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
If the plans you currently have for the car are just to change to HID's and also to fit one of these car computers jobs, then I really don't thinky you need all this hassle!

Are you going to be spending large amounts of time in the car when the engine is not on?

But if you do want to look for a switch, they are out there. They are quite common on boats as these often have two batteries. They usually comprise of a four position switch which can be used to select battery 1, 2, both or off! Most of these will operate in such a way that you will be selecting which battery you use for your power when your engine is off, and when running it will select which one to charge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.