Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone and Happy new Year
Sadly I need to replace the rear shock absorber boot/dust covers as they are disintigrating into nothing!! Which is a shame as the shocks are ok but I think this is a MOT failure,
so needs to be done even if its just to keep the road crap out.
I am hoping I can just undo the bottom of the shockers from their mountings and replace the covers.
Has anyone done this? and can you get replacement boots? They are the self leveling ones see photo, Any advise would be welcome many thanks
Automotive tire Tire Wood Tread Automotive wheel system

· Megger
2,940 Posts
Don't know what model of car this is but based upon your photo, I'm guessing that if you undo the bottom nut/bolt and can swing the shock clear, you will not be able to get the rubber boot over the end without tearing it. But what do I know?

· Little Megger
4,941 Posts
The mk3 self levelling shocks are stupidly expensive! My Ghia X is fitted with them too and the bellows are also breaking up. If you find a solution, please post it here!

Reactions: riber3

373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't know what model of car this is but based upon your photo, I'm guessing that if you undo the bottom nut/bolt and can swing the shock clear, you will not be able to get the rubber boot over the end without tearing it. But what do I know?
Glad to know I'm not the only dumb so and so on here lol!!

373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The mk3 self levelling shocks are stupidly expensive! My Ghia X is fitted with them too and the bellows are also breaking up. If you find a solution, please post it here!
Will do, I should have said in my post ghia X estate to inform everyone who doesn't know me doh!! Yes pardon the pun Shockingly Expensive!! someone is advertising a second hand one on fleabay for £200 with a knackered boot as well!! cheek!!

· Clever Clauggs
4,957 Posts
Flexible Superglue sticks well with rubber i've used it when i placed new ball joint boots ontop of the old split ones as its best not to remove them,the idea comes from using the split type CV bellows and glueing together rather than dismantling whole drive shaft.
Try the wide bellows split them and glue the overlap rather than side to side, cheaper than scary price of new shocks.

· Resident Wrestling Legend
4,128 Posts
i've got a few of those shocks sitting in the garden with the same issues

373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Flexible Superglue sticks well with rubber i've used it when i placed new ball joint boots ontop of the old split ones as its best not to remove them,the idea comes from using the split type CV bellows and glueing together rather than dismantling whole drive shaft.
Try the wide bellows split them and glue the overlap rather than side to side, cheaper than scary price of new shocks.
I have been thinking about doing that too similar to the video above. I have fitted a split type cv joint in the past works ok but prefer fitting a whole one. The other type of split cv is the ones fitted to VW beetles I know they won't fit here sadly. I am going to look at the universal ones again.

373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am going to measure the gators tomorrow unless someone already knows the dimensions and can post them on here. Another alternative I did read about is that if you change the self leveling shockers over to standard ones on the estates you also have to change the springs. Not sure which springs or if it would be cost effective in the future maybe someone on here knows?

· Super Moderator
31,912 Posts
Yes the springs currently fitted will be soft, fitting standard shocks do not offer the extra lift of
the self levelling ones so it will sag and not ride very well.

· Little Megger
4,941 Posts

373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That sounds about right!! as purple said and I as mentioned earlier you need different springs but not sure which of the 4 is correct. Additionally not sure if there is anything on this old post I was looking at but there is some useful info here

· Little Megger
4,941 Posts
I can't see how you can pull 'em off as the end has got the fixing eye attached.

373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Apologies for my late update and in answer to your question I am not sure either if they will slide over the bottom eye. Going to have another look but I have found somewhere that sells the dust covers so you would think it would be possible. However it does mean disturbing the bottom bushes!!

I did manage to take some measurements which are approximate so please bear that in mind

Shocker Top Outer Casing diameter 65mm

Shocker Top Outer lip where cover is seated on diameter 35mm

Shocker Bottom lip where cover is seated on diameter 24mm

Dust Boot overall Length = 170mm

It might a case of just buying the boots. Splitting them and then gluing them in place not ideal but it might be the only way. If the gentleman who has some sat in his garden could tell us if they slide off or not would be really helpful or maybe someone else knows!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts