Ford Automobiles Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I suppose the first question for today is: Has anyone on here or at Ford ever replaced these dust boot covers? The second is: Are the dust covers fitted during the factory assembly process only? and don't slide over the bottom eye?

I climbed under the car again today to measure the bottom eye the width is about 32mm and the height is about 50mm. So will the boot stretch over it without ripping? Maybe using some sort of cone tool might help?
Anyways all thoughts and advice welcome

373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Are the front and rear dust boot covers the same size/type ??? my front ones seem to be plastic and bigger ? where as rear ones are definitely rubber?

TOPRAN 302 210 Protective Cap / Bellow, shock absorber Front Axle Left, Front Axle Right, Rear Axle both sides
Article number:302 210
  • Fitting Position: Rear Axle both sides, Front Axle Left, Front Axle Right
  • Quantity per axle: 2
  • TOPRAN: Protective Cap / Bellow, shock absorber
  • Item number: 302 210
If you are around Purple_2_LX maybe you could please help and let me know as I don't want to order the wrong items!!

· Little Megger
4,941 Posts
Thing is those shocks were only fitted to Ghia Xs, so not many on here will have seen gaitors on their rear shocks. So.not a lot of experience of such things... you are literally trail blazing here!
Do you have a link to those Topran ones?

Reactions: riber3

373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thing is those shocks were only fitted to Ghia Xs, so not many on here will have seen gaitors on their rear shocks. So.not a lot of experience of such things... you are literally trail blazing here!
Do you have a link to those Topran ones?
Thanks for that lol!!! I have been called a lot worse!!! Looks like I will have be making some from something eles

Here is the link for the part If it doesn't open its on autodoc.co.uk
and thanks for your reply

373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Just a quick update to say that I have ordered some universal dust boot covers (motorbike ones lol!!) so when they arrive I will have a go at fitting them and post my progress then.

In the mean time I am debating whether to cut the new boot along the seam and re-glue around the ram and fit with cable ties as one side the old boot is pretty much gone whereas the other may just glue onto the one that is left.

Trouble is which glue to use? I was thinking about a neoprene glue to start to seal the seam and then maybe go over it with either tiger seal or perhaps a rubber joint gasket compound the type they use for sumps and rocker cover gaskets. I know I could start with superglue but I worry that is might be too inflexible!!

373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Use the flexible superglue to tack weld it, not sure what flexible rubber glue is best,i've used tyre vulcanizer glue on little splits.
Best Glue for Rubber - Choosing the Right Rubber Adhesive (resin-expert.com)
Thanks for the link a very interesting read. Fleible rubber glue is pretty similar to tyre vulcaniser but perhaps not as strong. I will do a couple of test trials on something first and see how it goes. It would be great to overlap the boot but I think that would make it more oval and not flex properly.

· Little Megger
4,941 Posts
Have you seen those youtube video demonstrations of superglue mixed with bicarb or even better, with graphite. Seems to make a pretty damn strong bond.

Reactions: riber3

373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Have you seen those youtube video demonstrations of superglue mixed with bicarb or even better, with graphite. Seems to make a pretty damn strong bond.
Yes I have, thanks for the reminder. I did try superglue and bicarb once and noticed that it speeds up the curing processbut doesn't seem much stronger. I haven't tried graphic yet but I may do a test with that too!!! BTW hows it going with the fuel pump transplant did you get it sorted?

· Little Megger
4,941 Posts
Long story!.... I'll try to shorten it. I was getting running probs due to a tired pump. Managed to get a refurbed pump £100, fitted it and was getting gr8 fuel pressure, but was emptying the fuel filter, and was not drawing enough on the low pressure side to fill it. . I worked on it through Nov, Dec and Jan 2020-21 in freezing cold getting nowhere, so decided to put old pump back, caught a cold, wasn't thinking clearly and screwed up causing timing chain sprocket to slip. This meant having to remove timing chain cover, retiming engine, etc.... I lost my mojo as was right out of comfort zone by now. Fast fwd to October 2022, I needed to move Mondy out of carport in order to work on my daughter's car. So by now got a bit of confidence restored, so managed to put it together (with old pump) and got it running. Still haven't put aux belt and alternator on. I've since read from someone on the Jag X-Type forum, that some fuel filters come with the water tap on the bottom not fully screwed tight and THIS was the cause of my new pump not having enough 'suck' to draw fuel from the tank. (as I had fitted a new filter at the same time as pump change) will still need to refit the new pump to test this theory, but am awaiting warmer weather now! Thanks for asking, btw!

373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Long story!.... I'll try to shorten it. I was getting running probs due to a tired pump. Managed to get a refurbed pump £100, fitted it and was getting gr8 fuel pressure, but was emptying the fuel filter, and was not drawing enough on the low pressure side to fill it. . I worked on it through Nov, Dec and Jan 2020-21 in freezing cold getting nowhere, so decided to put old pump back, caught a cold, wasn't thinking clearly and screwed up causing timing chain sprocket to slip. This meant having to remove timing chain cover, retiming engine, etc.... I lost my mojo as was right out of comfort zone by now. Fast fwd to October 2022, I needed to move Mondy out of carport in order to work on my daughter's car. So by now got a bit of confidence restored, so managed to put it together (with old pump) and got it running. Still haven't put aux belt and alternator on. I've since read from someone on the Jag X-Type forum, that some fuel filters come with the water tap on the bottom not fully screwed tight and THIS was the cause of my new pump not having enough 'suck' to draw fuel from the tank. (as I had fitted a new filter at the same time as pump change) will still need to refit the new pump to test this theory, but am awaiting warmer weather now! Thanks for asking, btw!
Thanks for the info good to hear that you got your mojo back and things are progressing and you got it running again and hope all goes well with the new pump test.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts