Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

While my mk2 1.8TD has been off the roads after a minor accident (Awaiting inspection) i've had my family starting it up over christmas etc, and one thing they have noticed is that when its started its kicking out soot.

Lots of soot.

Enough that they're having to sweep the footpath to stop it trailing in the house.

I dont recall it doing this before the accident, that said i only had it 2-3 weeks before it was hit.

I just took it out for a run to get it ready for being put back on the roads (Inspection is on Tuesday) and i noticed it myself.

Does anyone know what could be causing it? The only damage to the car was a cracked bumper, the exhaust is blown and the electric window in the passenger side doesnt go up any more.

I hope its nothing major because i cant really afford to replace the thing. Hell i still owe money on it technically!

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Soot builds up in the exhaust mate. All TD's will do this and its probably worse cause the car has been standing. Best thing to do is take it for an Italian Service - thrash it on the motorway in 3rd and 4th up to the limiter for a few miles and this should clear out the majority of the soot. Did wonders on my old MK2 TD.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You think?

I took it out for a good thrashing tonight, trying to get used to it again and get the engine back to fighting fitness, changing gears in the late 3,500 to 4,000 rev range.

Italian Servicing reminds me, i only had the car for a couple of weeks before i got hit, and most of that was during the monsoons that england seemed to get in late november/early december so i couldnt work on it much.

its got 171,000 miles on it, what would you recommend in the way of giving it a full service and tune up. After that many miles i suspect its going to need one.

My old mk1 had 148,000 on it when i got it, and 155,000 when i got rid after 8 months, but when i changed its oil and gave it some decent GTD Magnatec, it made a hell of a difference, and thats the sort of thing i'm looking for.

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Injector Cleaner also does wonders on the TD's - aside from completely taking the injectors out and either replacing or getting them ultrasonically cleaned (pity really cause I used to work for a lab company who had loads of ultrasonic baths, made by a company called Grant (not that that matters, just surprised I remembered :} ) ).

Anyway, I guess you may already have the EGR Blocked - if not, then block it (easy, just have to block the pipe going to it with a ball bearing). Cleaning the intercooler also does some good, although made sure you dont do this in a white bath like I did - took an age to clean afterwards - looked like Stig of the Dump had his first bath in 20 years in it :}

·
Registered
148 Posts
:p

Cool, thanks for that
How much should i expect to pay for the injectors to be cleaned and sorted out, cos i dont think i have the equipment for that really, seems like the sort of thing that cant be done with a saturday afternoon and your mums washing up bowl, like my oil change was....still havent replaced that actually....

Oh, and how the hell do you get the keys open on the mk2 to replace the battery? It was easy on the Mk1, you just pushed the little plastic bit down and pulled, but this one is different.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Also, do you think general improvement of maintenance like oil changes, new air filter and a fuel filter perhaps could improve MPG?

Because for a diesel mine is pretty piss poor, somewhere in the region of 32 and thats when its mostly motorway stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.