Ford Automobiles Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is an 07 1.8 (lynx) tdci mk4, 162,000 mls. Much work done over lockdown, which included a change of injectors, done properly at a garage, and properly coded. The problem, I'm still black smoking at 2000+ revs, as in pulling away from lights or junctions .This was also happening before the change. If I drop a cog and accelerate, black smoke. If I short shift, keep revs below 2k, no issue. By the way and not linked, DMF & clutch have also been changed. Ladies & Gentlemen your mission, if you wish to accept, is to hazard a guess, or using your best brain power, provide me and others with some possible solutions. I thank you in advance, just for looking at this issue.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Are you getting sufficient boost?

I ask this as I was getting a lot of black smoke when the lower of the two hoses between my turbo and the intercooler split. I actually heard the hose 'pop' when it split. You will notice a 'whooshing' noise on acceleration.

Black smoke is usually a sign of an inefficient burn. Sometimes you may get it under EGR operation - as the recirculation of exhaust gases into the combustion chamber reduces oxygen content and temperature, but I doubt this is the case with your car as the EGR is fully closed at 2500 revs and above.

Have you been able to scan for any codes?

If one of your intercooler hoses has split, you will get an appropriate code stored as the MAP sensor will be reading lower than the PCM will be expecting.

Certainly worth checking the integrity of your hoses and that you don't have any air leaks.

Also worth checking is the MAP sensor pipe to the inlet manifold.

I had mine split on me and eventually the hose popped off - meaning that the MAP was no longer detecting the inlet manifold air pressure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Antman, That's what happened on my mk3 2.0 tddi. So far I have only found the rigid boost pipe that goes past the coolant tank and into the turbo body from the left. Not found the other hose yet. I did think it might be the EGR and gave it a high speed run in low gear held at 4500 rpm for about 10 secs, three times. A load of rubbish and grey smoke came belching out on the first two. On the third, the rearview mirror was clear and the mpg has started to improve over the past day, even on shortish runs. So that seems to have helped. I will try to locate the other boost pipe that you mentioned and report back in a few days.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The pipes from the turbo to the intercooler are only visible once you have removed a couple of things. If you follow the air intake pipe down behind the engine from the Ai filter housing, you'll find the turbo. Just in front of that pipe is where the upper hose is located (it's a 90 degree elbow). This then enters a metal pipe across the top of the gearbox and then connected to another rubber hose to the intercooler

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thank you Antman, That's what happened on my mk3 2.0 tddi. So far I have only found the rigid boost pipe that goes past the coolant tank and into the turbo body from the left. Not found the other hose yet. I did think it might be the EGR and gave it a high speed run in low gear held at 4500 rpm for about 10 secs, three times. A load of rubbish and grey smoke came belching out on the first two. On the third, the rearview mirror was clear and the mpg has started to improve over the past day, even on shortish runs. So that seems to have helped. I will try to locate the other boost pipe that you mentioned and report back in a few days.
The pipe to the left of the engine (as you're looking at it from the front of the car) doesn't connect to the turbo. That's the pipe from the Intercooler to the inlet manifold. That isn't the turbo you can see up there.

The turbo is buried down the back of the engine

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, need to check that in the morning then!! So it's airbox out to see it properly. Thank you. I'll be back.....with any updates.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Here's a diagram of the turbo / intercooler circuit.

66bae54c-5a17-4a5e-8f9f-af21b2d6ee3f.jpg

The Pipe highlighted by the red box is the one that feeds the inlet manifold from the Intercooler (on the left of the engine bay as you look at it) and is plastic.

On the other side of the engine, as you can see, the pipes running from the Turbo to the Intercooler consist of three pieces. The centre section (that crosses over the gearbox bellhousing) is metal. The 90 degree pipe that connects between that and the turbo, and the lower pipe that connects between the metal pipe and the intercooler, are rubber.

It was the lower of these two hoses that split on mine. And that was a hose that I had already replaced once (though the previous one hadn't split - I'd just replaced it out of course).

I have now replaced the lower hose with a silicone item that I picked up on ebay for just under 40 quid.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ht, six months on, update time. Work commitments and dark cold nights prevented further work on this, but now have got to the problem. The Antman identified the issue above. It wasn't the intercooler to turbo pipes they are in good nick. It is the other boost pipe that goes past the water expansion tank and into the inlet manifold. Not the main part, which is rigid plastic but where it joins the inlet, that plastic has rubber connection. Where the plastic becomes rubber there is a split at the bottom, partly covered by the worm-drive hose-clip, rev above 2.2k rpm and boy you can feel it. New pipes do not have any holes to house the air temp sensor, so that would need mapping out, cost £70.00 and are made of rubber with no midway fixing.

So I have used a silicon sealing tape capable of withstanding 600 psi, to work properly, this tape has to be stretched really tightly ( 1 inch becomes 3 or 4 inches not like electrical tape) and it sticks to itself. Unfortunately, my first attempt (awkward to do) was not stretched tightly enough, it is a very awkward position and it blew. Undeterred I tried again, stretching as tight as possible in the limited space ( yes I did it in situ). This time was much better, but a small hole blew almost immediately. Now I have no black smoke, mpg is getting MUCH better (town driving has gone from 26 mpg to 37, I have ceramised this engine) but I do have a little whistle at 2.2k rpm. I can live with that for a little while.

I went out this evening to add some more tape, in smaller strips to get the stretch. I wanted nothing in the way, so \i pulled the pipe for the air intake manifold pressure sensor......and broke the small pipe at the sensor end*$%#. Can't find a replacement, it's plastic and small bore. Another cobble together option to work on, till I get to the scrappy. All good fun.

If anyone knows where to get that small bore tube, please let me know. Further updates will follow, hope this has helped someone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts