Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Resident LED Guru
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will a blacktop coilpack fit a silvertop engine? I know teh leads ar different. Just wondering if it will physically mount onto the engine block due to the bolt pattern

·
Turbo Boost Me!
975 Posts
Bolt pattern is the same so I imagine it would fit, Why anyway?? and What happened yesterday??

·
Resident LED Guru
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure what happened yeaterday, just wouldnt let me talk for some reason. And i couldnt send any files from my laptop via email or let me log into MSN on it.

Anyway. EDIS is working fine now. Took the engine loom out and thourghly tested it. And put in the shields taht i originally forgot :whistling: I Used LEDs on the EDIS output to the coil to find that the Coil is now getting a signal. Iv ordered a timing light a few days ago to check for spark, but still not arrived.

Only really leaves me with coil pack, plugs and leads i think, unless theres something mechanically wrong. Plugs are wet and smell of fuel so defo getting fuel in. Altho maybe the mix is off. its cranking at 2.9ms pulwidth with 42# injectors. that sound about right? Iv had it as high as 3.9ms (@6 degees C) but doesnt want to catch cranking speed is ~250rpm and all the sensors are working fine. Altho EDIS should still start it at that if theres enough fuel going in.

·
Resident LED Guru
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yeh and im just keeping my options open with teh blacktop Coil as someone was selling one in the forsale section. meant to add that earlier

·
Turbo Boost Me!
975 Posts
Jesus, I cant belive mine has gone pretty straight forward and you are having loads of problems. Mine is now about 90% finished, Just lots of fine tuning to do, Sorted my uneven idle out today, Idle is so smooth now and it revs up so much crisper

·
Resident LED Guru
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You uesed the standard engine loom tho didnt you? Im almost at the stage of giving up. Do you have a datalog of the engine starting and running? Could you send me a current msq and datalog? Might show me where im going wrong.

·
Turbo Boost Me!
975 Posts
I have loads of logs but Ive got that many I dont know which is which, I will do one tonight for you and i will send my lastest msq

Now, My loom isnt really a std one, I used a mondeo engine loom and a fiesta turbo engine loom, I cut and shut them together.

Why does everyone live so far away, I would give you a hand but It would cost me a fortune in fuel

·
Resident LED Guru
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
not managed to get it started, but it did catch for a split second quite a few times. Ill keep you updated

·
Registered
200 Posts
sparker said:
will a blacktop coilpack fit a silvertop engine? I know teh leads ar different. Just wondering if it will physically mount onto the engine block due to the bolt pattern
The bolt pattern is the same and the unit itslef is the same size so yes it will physically fit but the connection between the coli and leads are different between black and silvertop.

Therefore you can swap coils between one another but you need to swap leads as well

·
Turbo Boost Me!
975 Posts
The unit isnt the same, The mk1 coil is taller than the blacktop one as I found out when I tried to use a blacktop coil bracket with a silvertop coil

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.