Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Glen
4,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone fitted a bleed valve on a MK3?

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Not sure you can because the boost is controlled by the ECU. Might be wrong though.

·
Glen
4,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah the boost is controlled by the ecu, but still if you were to bleed off some boost from the actuator hose, the intake pressure would be higher than the actuator hose pressure , so when the wastegate opens the boost will be higher in the intake than before. I think LOL

·
Glen
4,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thikning about it I'm not sure it IS controlled by the ECU on the 115 tddi as it uses an actuator instead of a vacuum diaphragm unit.

·
Turbo Boost Me!
1,018 Posts
I think newer TD cars use vacuum to control the turbo

·
Glen
4,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah there are 2 different types on the MK3 - the older ones use an actuator and the TDCi's use a vaccum

·
Glen
4,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so..........

in that case i should still be able to use a bleed valve to up the intake boost.. only a little of course as the fuel map will only allow for a little extra boost - hoping for 2psi... gonna fit boost gage so i can measure it. does anyone know what the boost pressure is standard?

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Not sure if this makes a difference, but earlier 115PS TDDi's had a variable vane turbo, whereas the 90PS had a fixed vane. Late 2001 at the time the 130PS TDCi was being released Ford changed it over to a Fixed vane on the 115ps TDDi also.

·
Glen
4,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah mine has the fixed vane turbo

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Im lucky cause mine was one of the last produced with the Variable Vane - apparently it gives smoother delivery of the turbo.

·
Glen
4,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah thats true but i bet mine makes you think its faster lol :} when you get the sudden 'kick'!

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Dont really boot mine that much generally. As its Christmas whenever I have been out I have been giving it a lot more stick than usual (within the law) and its been mighty fun.

·
Just me
19,673 Posts
I want to turn mine up, so let me know how you get on please!

·
Glen
4,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
you can get a suitable valve for an aquarium that is adjustable, but don't be fooled. it is risky, if you open it too much your wastegate won't open and your turbo will just spin faster and faster until you hear the bang. so start with it closed and then open it slightly and measure the difference with the boost guage - a must!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.