Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Megger
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What ho one and all,

I think it was on a TF forum, that I read about bleeding the brakes with Forscan.

I have not done it, but as I was reading an error code recently, I did find the correct tab and just out of interest, hit OK.

Don't know what to expect but an electrical motor fires up. What I don't understand, is to the best of my knowledge, there are not motors in the brake pipe lines, so what is this motor and where is it?

Or may be more pertinent, what exactly is Forscan doing to bleed the brakes?

Thanks and toodle pip

·
MEG Corporal
2,722 Posts
It opens up a valve in the ABS unit. I've bled the brakes a few times now and have never done this. Maybe next time.

·
Megger
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the Forscan tab says ABS bleed and I have just watched one of the YouTube vids. But does the ABS have an electrical motor?

·
dont listen to me, you'll have horsepower and
3,336 Posts
The abs units are a very interesting and complicated bit if kit. They're coded and if I'm correct I think they even make up part of the pats. They're a vital line in the canbus system too. A commution fault with the abs can soon stop your motor from firing or turning over. If you ever get a chance have a look at the multiplug that connects into the abs module, it's like an ecu

Reactions: HC56

·
Megger
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Don't even know where the ABS unit is located. I know about the wheel sensors, but anything else. Fortunately, never needed to do anything to it.

But from my initial investigations, I think I now understand why there was a electrical motor running when I hit the Forscan OK button.

·
dont listen to me, you'll have horsepower and
3,336 Posts
Thanks. Don't even know where the ABS unit is located. I know about the wheel sensors, but anything else. Fortunately, never needed to do anything to it.

But from my initial investigations, I think I now understand why there was a electrical motor running when I hit the Forscan OK button.
Definitely worth having a quick read up on if you get some spare time

·
MEG Corporal
2,722 Posts
I changed the ABS pump on my MK2, it had a pretty big electrical multiplug on it. Was mounted below the brake servo and mater cylinder, suspect the same for most cars.

·
Megger
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bit difficult to find any info on the ABS unit but seems that with Forscan, one can single-handedly bleed the brakes as the program fires up the ABS pump motor. I guess the ABS running is the same as SWMBO sitting in the drivers seat pushing the pedal and me turning the bleed nipple open and closed.

But I also have a Gunson thing that also presurisses the system to single handedly bleed the brakes, Never used it!

·
Super Moderator
30,347 Posts
No, not the same.

Pumping the brake pedal may leave air trapped in the ABS unit. ABS bleed wont clear air from the braking
system like pumping the brake pedal.

2 different processes.

·
Megger
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. Have never had a problem that I know of with the ABS and only raised the issue due to seeing the Forscan Brake Bleed vid.

At some future date, I am thinking of replacing the rear suspension arms and as I have to drop the sub-frame, I would renew some of the rear brake pipes. I would then replace all the brake fluid but think I would use my Gunson thing and an inflated wheel barrow tyre which can be easily laid on the engine.

·
MEG Corporal
2,722 Posts
I've been using the Gunson Eezibleed for years, a bit fiddley but works well. I would recommend using a bigger wheel to supply the pressure though as the wheelbarrow wheel will lose pressure too quick and might give poor performance. I used to use the 16" spare from the ST24, and now I use a spare 19" TXS wheel. The hose attachment will reach down to the ground ok (just).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts